Keeping smaller fish off your fly?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kcahill, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    Is there any trick to this?

I have tried using bigger streamers, up to about 5" but the damn perch and little bass still pull on it and end up hooked. Last night I even had a solid take and when I set the hook hard ended up with a 6" LMB flying towards my head.

Maybe up the hook size to something monstrous that they cant fit in their mouth? I am running out of ideas here ><
  2. Van BT's New Member

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    All the little fish come from an overpopulation of that particular species, in my opinion. Not much to do about it, aside from using plastic worm hooks or taking bucket loads of small fish home for fertilizer.
  3. Jay Burman Experienced Ne'r do well and Layabout.

Snoqualmie, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I used a popper yesterday with a 0/2 hook and I managed to land a 4" bluegill. Those little bastards are determined.
  4. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    I dont think it is overpopulated, there are big ones, and the rainbow and cuthroat population are healthy. And its not like you get one on every cast, its just they seem to congregate and you know there are big ones under that dock but there are so many little ones to go through first. If it was truly over populated would the fish look stunted or odd?

I hear ya, the only decent fish I hooked yesterday ran into some lily pads and I ended up straightening the hook trying to bulldog him out of them ><
  5. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
  6. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    I do, I will pull 2 or 3 little ones out of an area, sigh, take a pull of my beer and move on.

Do the big ones not hang out where the little ones do? If you are getting a bunch of little ones in a 30 yard bed should you just abandon that whole area and find a new hunting ground?

I will admit when I find a big fish it normally comes solo, as in I haven't had a tug in a couple of docks then all of a sudden my fly is smashed and its game on, but I always figured bass were more social since sometimes they follow each other in?

Maybe its time to put down the trout\cutthroat books and hit the library for some bass books to figure this out ><
  7. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Well it's just like any species. The top dog gets what it wants. In your case that means the best cover. Look at the pentagon. The big boys are deep in middle, and you got some privates standing guard at the front gate. So you either need to work through the little guys, which is not a possibility, or use something that penetrates past the little guys quickly, that they won't or can't strike before you get in the strike zone of the big guys.

In my own experience you want a bug with no contrast and certainly no "bright spots", no wiggle, that sinks and fishes quickly, that's a little larger.

Or move.