Keeping the Head Small

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jim Darden, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    cool. thanks for that Tim C.. and good to see yuh around !

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Good to see you too Davy. I really like your avitar.
    I remember the day we met at a Mex restaraunt in Monroe. I gave you some feathers, probably blue peacock body feathers, In return you sent me a blue feather bodied fly using the peacock for the throut. It had two GP crest tails one up and one down following the curve of the hook.

TC

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

We are all in some stage of learning. Knowledge is never complete until you check out of this world. Keep at it, the reward is well worth the effort. Especially in dressing flies.

4. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Hey Tim ! good to see you around , you dress the nicest flies. Still tying wets?

I will be sending a PM, cleaning out my drawers and closets since my hands just won't function well anymore at the bench

5. dfg

dfg Member

I often have difficulty keeping strands of the hackle collar out of the head wraps. Any tips? Might it be possible to use a small funnel shaped gizmo to keep them back?

6. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Jim,
    You could use HACKLE GUARDS but they are often more trouble than they are worth. Just wet your fingers and go for it.:)
    Jack DSC04349.JPG

dfg likes this.
  7. PETI

PETI Member

dfg likes this.
  8. dfg

dfg Member

I tried wetting my fingers, but that doesn't work well with saddle hackle - it's too stiff. The hackle guards are exactly what I had pictured. You da man! Thanks!

9. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

They are only I think $2 a set???? Comes with a little egg sinker on a string to hold the guard in place. You could probably make your own out of plastic but the commercial ones are cheap enough. I've had mine 30 plus years. Only used them a few times.
    Jack

10. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

I also have an old set of hackle guards which I never use. I just checked and amazingly I still have them. Send me a PM with a mailing address and I will pop them in an envelope and send them to you. Once you get good at placing whip finish wraps you too will discontinue their use and can then give them to someone else.

TC

Davy likes this.
  11. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I don't have much trouble with this any more and just clip 'em and live with it when it happens now. But, when I was learning, I picked up a useful quick fix for keeping hackle out of the head.

Pick up some plastic straws in a variety of sizes (from coffee swizzles to soda straws at a fast food place). Cut short sections off and slit them down one side. When you are ready to tie off the head, slip the section of straw over the thread and push it up over the fly, forcing the hackle fibers back and out of the way.

Dick