Kelly Creek, NF Clearwater

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Denny Wagenman, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Denny Wagenman

Denny Wagenman Active Member

Since I am pushing 70 I need to get two more rivers off my bucket list. Wife says go for a week. Not having been in the Kelly Creek and NF Clearwater area any suggestions as to which river to fish most would be appreciated. I am staying in Pierce, as my days of camping were over a long time ago. I understand it may be hour to an hour and one half to get to a place to fish.

Any words of wisdon out there?

Old Man likes this.
  2. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    When are you planning on going?
    I just got back from our 10 day trip up that way. Surprised that the water was fishing good even with all the pressure, low water and high temps. I think I will try and get a few more trips in before the other fish start to show up down here

3. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Denny: What's most important is this: be sure your gas tank is full before you leave town.:oops:

Camping is your choice, but it needn't be stressful. At 71, I just camped for two weeks around Yellowstone/s.w. Montana. Used a 9' x 12' wall tent, alternating with a little dome tent; slept nine hours a night on foam pad. Lost a little weight; came home feeling 61.:p

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    There are USFS cabin rentals at the confluence. You could get to lots of good water and not even have to drive.

5. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Media:
    My NX-250 4-season hammock system from Clark Jungle Hammocks is as close to sleeping on a cloud as I think I can get. I will hang rather than sleep on the ground whenever possible.

6. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:

Its just about 6 months booking in advance, worth it if you can plan ahead

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    My closest thing to camping out is a cheap motel close to where I could be fishing at. I gave up on camping out a few years ago. I like hot showers and a warm bed.

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Crap-if you can drive a truck or fish a river what's the big deal about not camping? I did my first campout in 1946 when I was 8 years old-in a WWII surplus pup tent and still look forward to my camping trips like a young kid to this day. I got rid of my 5th wheel a few years back because a queen bed, kitchen, shower, toilet, microwave and air conditioning ain't camping. Plus it was a pain to drag around, store and maintain. For the past few years I have been camping out of this and like it better than my overhead camper or 5th wheel. I have spent over a year of my life in tents, much of that above 10,000' and am not too fond of tents or sleeping on the ground any longer. But the truck with the high canopy gives me room to sit up, get dressed and not feel like a sardine. Here I am prepping a batch of ginger beef with oyster sauce over jasmine rice along the St Joe. How sweet it is!

Ive

IMG_0844.JPG

9. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

I had a blast on the nf clearwater last summer. One of my best days of fishing, and some of the biggest cutts I've ever caught.

That said, I know that Kelly is a great one--I couldn't figure it out the one day I fished it, aside from some solid whitefish.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either one.

Jason

10. c1eddy

c1eddy Member

Ive, that looks like a great setup for many of my outings. Love to see more pics or hear about how you put it together.

11. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Ditto that. Sometimes simpler is better (but not too simple - been there, done that too - a lot!)

12. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    There are USFS cabin rentals at the confluence. You could get to lots of good water and not even have to drive.

13. Denny Wagenman

Denny Wagenman Active Member

Thanks all for the information. I'm off tomorrow

Ive, If I had a rig like yoursI I would do the camping thing. Nice setup