Kelly Kettles

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Alex MacDonald, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    I think next month, i'm picking up a Kelly Kettle for the boat. It appears that this family has been making them for four generations! Anyone have any experience with these things?

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:

Looks like a bad ass version of a rocket stove.

3. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

I bought one years ago. They work very well and don't require a lot of fuel.

GBeeman

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    An old friend (whom I regret not having fished with in nearly a year) brought one along on a trip to Lone Lake one very cold winter day. He fired it up with a few sheets of newspaper and a handful of kindling as I recall and we had boiling water in no time. The cool factor for a Kelly Kettle is pretty high IMHO. But the reality is that you also need to bring fuel and matches that need to be kept dry and which take up space.

If your goal is simply to boil water in a hurry and you prefer not to have to mess with the accoutrements of a Kelly Kettle, I'd suggest a JetBoil instead. They're lightweight, compact, and weatherproof. I've used mine to heat up leftovers in a seal-a-meal pouch on the rear deck of my pontoon boat. Not sure I'd want to try that with a Kelly Kettle.

K

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    I also think the cool factor is high and have thought about getting one. But, they are heavy and take up a lot of space. There are a couple of lighter, more compact modern versions on the market now, however. One that is getting rave reviews is the Backcountry Boiler. You could easily pack this one not just in the boat but in your daypack on bird or elk trips too. It is new and they are having a problem keeping up with demand but it looks pretty sweet. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/boilerwerks_backcountry_boiler.html

6. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    I've got a Jetboil as well as a couple of other stoves, but it seems to "fit" for some weird reason. Sounds like they work, though. Thanks!

7. teedub

teedub Active Member

I have one and have used it for years. It a little heavier than most but it is not a problem in the boat. It takes so little fuel to get water going, I have never had an issue finding enough - even in the rain. I just keep a couple of pieces of crumpled up paper handy and have water in minutes.

8. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    I, too, see the cool factor with these chimney kettles, but they still don't rise to the level of cool that my Optimus 99 does. There's just something about a classic white gas stove.....

9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Have one and like it. Crowd pleaser. Store a tube of Fire Ribbon in the chimney and you can always find fuel. Damp twigs no problem.
    Kelley also makes a smaller version I've considered for hiking instead of Svea and gas bottle.

10. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Is that the "Scout" version, David? It'll hold 19oz or something like that, I think. I have a blast match with some vaseline soaked cotton balls, which work great as a fire starter, too. I hadn't considered fire ribbon, which I've used to get the old Svea going!

11. Patrick Gould

Media:
    You're not the only one who has a nice little collection of stoves.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  12. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Those chimney stoves are pretty cool and efficient, but if you want a little more versatility in a wood-fired cook stove, check out the Sierra Stove:

http://www.zzstove.com/sierra.html and review here (bottom of page): http://www.adventuresnw.net/2011/07/quirky-outdoor-gear/

Or if you are a gadget-geek too, look for the latest and great wood-fired backcountry stove: the BioLite Camp Stove. Uses wood-fire to heat your cookset, and at the same time, creates electricity to power gadgets via USB outlets.

http://www.biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

Review here (not by me -- I haven't used it yet -- but by a friend):

http://gearjunkie.com/wood-burning-stove-with-electricity-generator

13. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Patrick, maybe there should be a stove collector's guild!:D Tell the truth, what I'd like is one of those old red and blue box stoves, Svea or Primus; I can't recall. They were cool! We had one almost 40 years ago, but I have no idea what happened to it.

14. Patrick Gould

Media:
    I have fond memories of my boy scout Coleman Peak1 stove that I lost track of at some point in my life. If anyone has one that they don't want....

15. bitterroot

Media:
    Removed post to start new thread.

16. bitterroot

Media:
  17. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Yeah, that's it, Lonnie!! I do miss the old stove, and it's purring noises. So it's an Optimus 80 we once had. I still have my Optimus 99; it's a "vintage" model now? Geez, do I feel ancient! I carted that stove all over the place, and it never failed once! They're dirty though, since you have to fill the little priming pan with gas and ignite it, so soot gets all over the place, but they sure sound comforting!

18. bitterroot

Media:
    I preheat all of my little white gas stoves with denatured alcohol...no mess whatsoever. Gotta love that "Putt, Putt, Putt" sound!!

19. Marc Stelting

Marc Stelting Member

Wow, a collectors guild? Sounds like some should seek a guild of professional counseling for stove addicts- myself included.

20. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

I used an old primus stove back in the mid-60's that worked great and was compact and reasonably lightweight. I have no idea where it disappeared to over the years - probably one of my sons made off with it. I've borrowed a newer compact white gas stove - virtually the same as my old primus. The problem I have with the Kelly Kettles is they really aren't made for back packing. Weight is always an issue, but so is room in the pack. I'd rather rub two sticks together to cook my food and save the room in my pack for a bottle of my favorite drink or several cans of beer. Its all about priorities.