Kelly Kettles

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Alex MacDonald, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Beer isn't worth the weight penalty for me, especially warm beer. But bourbon, scotch or rum? Now that's another matter!

K

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Plus one on that, Kent!! Maybe a cigar or two as a chaser.

3. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

I've got one. It doesn't get used as much as I'd like but it's great. I mostly got it to take camping on my motorcycle.
    Fire started can easily be kept in the chimney part. I keep a ziplock of pitchy wood shavings in it.

4. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

Now that BioIite is one cool geek tool. The Kelly is pretty big. For a more conventional small tinder-kindling wood fired stove that folds flat, hammock forum community members like the Emberlit.

5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Looks interesting, but the fire's clearly not contained within the stove. I wonder if it's legal where there are open flame restrictions? Not, mind you, that I'm touting the Kelly over anything else. Once you get your cookset weighed out, it's no longer light.

If you want a smokeless fire, use willow branches if they're available.

6. Noll

Noll New Member

If you are looking for a lighter version of the Kelly Kettle, check out a product called the Backcountry Boiler. Something like 8 oz, made from aluminum. Think the guy who makes them might be sold out now, but more should be in "this summer."