Kelson's Baker, Candlestick Maker, for Big E

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Mercer, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +502 / 0
    After tying the Butcher I figured I'd do the rest of trio and I think Big E saw what was coming. Anyway here's the Baker 3/0 with a mixed wing, instead of a married wing, and the Candlestick Maker also a 3/0.
    If you don't remember the the nursery rhyme here's it is.

Rub a Dub Dub three men in a tub,
    Who do you think they be,
    The Butcher the Baker the Candlestick Maker,
    All put out to sea.

Mark
    DSCN2365.JPG DSCN2382.JPG
  2. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Absolutely beautiful flies. Bow down.
  3. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Awesome! Every one a killer for sure.

Who's recipe did you use? I looked and it seems that Kelson used a different one from Francis. So let's say you didn't have a picture to go by...how would you know to put mallard between the swan instead of marrying the swan together and then mallard?

Now that you have done the bourgeoisie any chance you are doing the showy fly of the bunch?

What do you do with these when you are done? Are you going to put the three / four flies together in a frame?
  4. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Thanks guy's for the nice words.....

Big E, Great question!! I used Kelson's recipe for all three to stay with the same author/tier. All the old masters used and tied alot of the same flies but there recipes vary some, and sometimes vary a lot. Kelson, Hale, Francis Francis, Pryce-Tannatt, Knox and a quite a few others have there own recipes for a lot of the same flies. I'm just getting into this in depth so I'm not a authority at all.
    Most of the tiers that do these have all the old books and are much more knowledgeable than I. If you don't have a picture
    you can only follow the recipe in the order it's written, just like all recipes. But alot of them had different styles and ways of tying, mixed wing verses married wing. Of course this leaves alot to individual interpretation but those that study these seem have a better understanding of what the author/tier was trying to achieve.
    And sometimes I forget that these were all fishing flies and they worked well and still do.

Bourgeoisie.....You got me on that one...I had to look it up. Not sure what you mean as far a showy one? You'll have to fill me in.....

I think I might keep these and put them in a frame for the wall....maybe? I've framed a few in the past and it's as much work as tying the flies.

Mark
  5. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Francis, when describing the Butcher, Baker, and Candlestick Maker, prefaces these flies named after the trades as "We now come to the bourgeois, and begin with one whose very name is ensanguined." You'll notice all types of occupations mentioned and he regards one as "showy", only to be brought out "when feelings of the salmon, having resisted all ordinary persuasiveness, require to be very strongly appealed to."

Additionally, Mary Orvis Marbury relates the trio of flies to the divine fly I am hinting to with another poem...

Butchers and Bakers, Wheelwrights and Watchmakers,
    A Clark smooth and Parson 'to boot,'
    Whose orthodox views filled his church-pewes,
    Though he took a day off to fish or to shoot.
  6. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    I have a good idea, but I'm going to do some research before I commit to anything, this is fun....
  7. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +961 / 1
    Beautiful, Mark. I can't help wondering if you used Cobblers Wax when tying the Butcher, Baker, and Candlestick Maker?:)
    Jack
    PS Hey, what about creating "The Cobbler" pattern?
    J
  8. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Hey Big E, is it The Parson's?? If so, I did the J.H. Hale version a month or two ago, but it's alot different than Francis's version. I just might try it cause it looks more difficult. If I'm wrong, don't tell me.....I want to figure this out.

I was looking at the Parson's and inadvertently posted this post on it instead of here, anyway this is my first guess......

Thanks Jack, I use some wax Eunan gave me (really good stuff) awhile back that he made, I have the recipe, but I also use some other stuff the pretty good too.

Good idea to think up a cobbler's pattern, of course it wouldn't be a classic for a couple hundred years. I've messed around a little with artistic flies but nothing any good. I think I need a bunch of really cool and expensive feathers to inspire me....
    Mark
  9. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay