Kenai Peninsula 9/15 - 9/21

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by DLoop, Sep 1, 2013.

1. DLoop Creating memories one cast at a time

Washington.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have an opportunity to spend a week road camping on the Peninsula later this month. Any road/bank accessible river is an option. It sounds like rainbows will be flesh eating by this time in September.

I'd like to bring no more than three rods. Which weight spey/switch rods would you recommend bringing to allow greatest flexibility?
  2. Josh Stroud Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    There is a lot of bank accessible areas on the Upper Kenai. You can also fish Quartz Creek in Cooper Landing. You will still see a lot of people fishing with beads, but the flesh bite should also be great around that time. A six weight spey rod should be plenty, but a seven would also be sufficient and give you a little more back bone. Just keep in mind that you can catch some nice silvers at that same time of the year. The good thing about the Upper is that there is excellent swinging water and not too much pressure from other fly fisherman. I will be there around that same time, cant wait!
  3. matalpa Member

Mead, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I would still bring a bead box and a 7 weight single hand, 6 weight switch and a 5 weight Spey.

I left Alaska 4 years ago, but unless something has changed I am not sure I would classify pressure on the upper Kenai as light.

If you can figure out a way to drift from sportsmans to Jim's landing that would really be a huge help. The Russian river ferry is done for the season, so no access to far side of the river.

Alaska raft and kayak in anchorage rents all kinds of rafts.

If you go up the Russian, keep an eye out for bears. Pretty thick in there.

Have fun!
  4. Abomb Member

In the skinny
    Ratings: +25 / 0