Kenei AK Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Cactus, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:
    I got back Sunday night from a week on the Kenei Peninsula. We went out on the Kasilof for some Kings but...just my luck they didn't start coming in 'til after we left!:confused: We did have some company though...

[​IMG]

We also went to Seward for Silvers. We got a few but the water was so rough (two waves over the bow of a 31' boat) that we stayed in Resurrection Bay while most of the fish were outside the bay.

The halibut fishing out of Ninilchik was good and we limited out. I found out halibut fishing isn't much fun; drop a five pound weight, reel it in...repeat until fish is caught.

However, the upper Kenei was great! We caught a lot of fish, rainbows, dollies and one sockeye.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately, I'm the old guy on the left. The good looking young guy was the guide.
    [​IMG]
    This is a 24" female. I also caught a 27-1/4" female that took me 20 minutes to get to the net...on a 7 weight! She took me deep into my backing twice all the time tail dancing down the river.

If anyone is thinking of going up there, do it! We had a great guide that put us into big fish all day and was great company as well. I was impressed with the care he took with handling and releasing the fish, he never had them out of the water for more than 15 seconds. Next time we won't worry about the salmon but spend more time on the trout.

2. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dana,

Thanks for a great report. I will be up there 7/31-8/5, and plan on doing a full day drift on that same upper Kenai section, so your info is very timely.

LB

3. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:
    papafsh,

You'll have a great time! Do you have a guide lined up? We were booked with Mystic Waters but due to a personal issue with one of the guides, we ended up with Todd from Alaskan Wilderness Adventures. He was great, I would highly recommend him.

I was originally concerned that my 7wt. would be a little overkill on rainbows but it wasn't. In fact, I wouldn't have felt over gunned with an 8wt.! Those rainbows are HOT.:D

4. Guillaume

Guillaume New Member

Also the Russian river is a great area, the key is to take the "ferry" at cooper landing to cross the river, walk 10 minutes, and you'll be fishing a great spot alone.

5. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Dana,

Yes I think we have it covered. We're staying and guiding with the guy's at All Alaska Outdoors.
    I am not interested in gear fishing for kings or halibut, just FFing coho, rainbows, dollys, etc. Taking two 7wts and one 8wt. The lodge also has plenty of Loomis set ups available as well.

Can't wait to get going, I'm already packed!

LB

6. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    My wife just spent six yes count them six weeks on the Kenai in Ninilchik. Those rivers are hot and yes halibut fishing is boring to us but my wife loved it. She got to sit on a boat (dry). She didn't have to bait her hook take the fish off or anything she loved that. Oh and did I mention the fish and chips we had when she got home. Her and I are going to head over there next summer for a week or two. I plan on really hitting the rainbows hard then.

7. Curtis King

Curtis King Fish Magnet

Media:
    ptyd I forgive you for mis-spelling Kenai, and congrats on your trip. I don't have pictures back from the guide yet, but I strongly recommend on your next trip you take a fly-out to the Nushagak. I was there the last week in June and HOLY MOLY. Landed 20, including one chum, one sockeye, and one really nice bow. Two of the kings were over 20 lbs. Saw my backing several times....UNBELIEVABLE trip.

8. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

Media:
    Here is the photo of the 27-1/4" rainbow from the Kenai River (see spey, if you give me some time to study, I can pass the spelling test:p )
    [​IMG]

9. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Cactus, it's that WSU education showing through.;) (Jist kiding - Ima Coug, two, and lernt hou two spel purty gud ther.)

Nice fishies by the way.