NFR Kentucky Bourbon Question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mark Yoshida, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Might keep you warm while fishing, but I don't drink anything but coffee.
    Here is the deal, my uncle past away, my aunt found a unopened bottle in the top shelf of a closet from the 70’s that says Beam’s Choice Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey still in the original box. Still has a US Internal Revenue bottle stamp.
    Question is whether it’s still good, can it go bad? It says aged 8 years? Well it must be 40 years old by now.
    What the hell do I do with it?

2. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Sorry for your loss. Raise a glass or two in memory to your uncle.

The whiskey is still good.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  3. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Should be a good bottle of hootch, provided it is still sealed and air tight. But note that whiskey doesn't 'age' in the bottle (that it, it's flavor profiles will not change in that sealed environment -- you need those charred-oak aging barrels for that). So your 8 year old bourbon is still an 8 year old bourbon even though its been in a sealed bottle for 40 years.

Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Whiskey doesn't warm you up. It just feels like it. In fact if you drink it when it's cold out and your out in the cold, you will get colder faster.

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Think up a contest or trivia game for WFF'ers and give it away as the prize.
    Some fun for everyone and a little tribute to your uncle.
    jesse

6. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

Only one way to find out.
    I agree that it's not the best warmer in an outdoor environment, however sitting at home by a warm fire...:)

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Instead of a contest to give it away have a family get together and raise a today to him and drain the bottle dry or have a WFF get together to drink it around a camp fire. I'm sure there's enough guys and gals here that'll help you drink it. ;)

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Was your uncle a fisherman?
    If so, keep the bottle after the whiskey has been consumed. You might want to use it to pay tribute to him if that is his family's wishes.
    My dad was big into making home brew and wine, an avid fisherman and the ocean was his favorite place.
    When he passed away, we put some of his ashes in one of his bottles. We included a laminated label my brother had designed for his beer and wine along with a note about his life on the other side.
    My uncle dropped the bottle into the big blue for us while out on a fishing trip. I hope someone contacts me some day after they find it. 10 years and counting......
    SF

9. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Second the idea!

My father had a bottle of Old Overholt that his father bought when he was born in 1917, never opened. Before he died, my dad gave it to my loser brother-who doesn't drink! I asked why he gave it to him, and dear old dad says "he can use it for 'talking points'". So if Donald Trump or the Aga Khan ever dropped by his three-room apartment in Fresno, the idiot brother could say "Hey... want a sip of old overshoes? It was bottled in 1917!".

10. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

must be a story behind the bottle......unless its possible he forgot about it.

11. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Thanks for the stories and info. Got time to figure out what to do with it, since its been in a closet for all this time.
    No story that I know of. Of course they bought it in Vegas, so what happened in Vegas must have stayed there.

Steve Call and Jeff Dodd like this.
  12. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Media:
    There is a big debate on this in the whiskey world. Some will argue that whiskey cannot change in a sealed environment, while others will insist that with enough time, flavors meld, and profiles will change either for better or worse given time. I for one agree that with time, things can change in a whiskey bottle, even sealed and in the dark. While, not true "ageing" per se, flavor profiles will alter over time, as the bottle contents come to some dynamic equilibrium. Another note, is that a bottle of Jim Beam from 1970, maybe totally different from a bottle of Beam today. Blends change as do the barrels they blend from. I would say the bottle in question has a chance to be something unique and worthy of a toast to Mark's uncle.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  13. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Mark....the whiskey is passed it's "sell by" date, I wouldn't risk drinking it. It is too hazardous to dispose of so you can't pour it out. I just happen to have a filtration system built to handle your problem. If you ship it to me I will see that it is properly handled.....;)

Steve Call likes this.