Ketchum Release

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Twilightman, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Twilightman New Member

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Noticed quite a bit of discussion couple days ago concerning CR. and the safest method of releasing, handling, reviving the fish. To each his own, but I think the Ketchum Release is by far the best tool. Never have to touch the fish, easier on your flys and you can revive it also. I noticed most of the guides in Montana use it. Comments??
  2. Steelie L Member

Issaquah
    I agree with you -- Ketchum Release is very handy.
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

OK,I'll bite Whats a Ketchem Release. Is it about Lake Ketchem
  4. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Twilightman,

Never could understand why I should spend $20 on this tool when a pair of hemostats does the same job. Why am I wrong?

Greg
  5. Twilightman New Member

Missoula, MT
    Who said you were wrong? I said "to each his own". It works for me...I don't damage my flys and I see lots of people grab the fish to remove the hook with hemostats...hey, if you can release the fish without touching it using hemostats, thats absolutely awesome. You are the man!!
  6. Twilightman New Member

Missoula, MT
    Go to Cabela's .com Type in ketchum release. 3 sizes depending on fly size.
  7. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Clear the air...I'm not being antagonistic. I'm truly inquisitive.

That said, I can hold the leader with my left hand, reach down with the hemostat in my right hand to the fly, clamp onto it, give it a twist and the fish is released. Not sure why this would be "awesome" or make me "the man" for doing it this way. Explanation please. What makes the Ketchum Release better? Like I said, this is not antagonistic, I truly would like to know.

Greg
  8. Twilightman New Member

Missoula, MT
    Geez....sounds like you don't need one. Happy fishing!
  9. Steelie L Member

Issaquah
    Greg: Two reasons I favor the Ketchum Release over hemostats in many situations...

1) I find that the Ketchum does less damage to my flies in the long run.

2) When the fish is squirming around -- especially small fish -- I find it easier to slide the Ketchum down the tippet and onto the fly. With hemostats, it's sometimes more difficult for me to locate and grip the fly when the fish is squirming. Using the Ketchum, I'm able to make the quickest release possible, usually without ever touching the fish with my hands.

It sounds like you've got the hemostat gig down pat, releasing the fish safely with minimal (or no) handling, which is excellent. I enjoy the power of hemostats when dealing with larger fish like steelhead, but for smaller, more squirrelly trout, I like the ease of the Ketchum. The one negative about the Ketchum is that it's expensive ($20), and there's no convenient way to attach it to your person the way you can with hemostats.

Cheers.
  10. Greg Member

Gig Harbor, WA, U.S.A.
    Steelie L,

Thanks for taking the time to explain the benefits. I can see this tool may have some for the freshwater Trout angler. Got to say I haven't experienced any damaged flies by using hemostats, but then again, I don't fish #18 BWOs, either - since all my flyfishing is done in the salt, the smallest fly I use is a #12 Euphasiid pattern. The smaller 8-10" Cutts I've caught have not been a problem to release as I described above, probably because there's still enough bare hook at the bend to grip with the hemostats.

Twilightman mentioned something about 3 different sizes depending upon fly size...how many different sized Ketchum Tools do you carry with you since on any given day it is feasible that you could be fishing everying from a #8 or #10 streamer pattern to something that matches the hatch in size #20 or even smaller?

I guess my BIG question now is would they hold up without corroding in saltwater? Still don't think I can justify the $20 expenditure in my particular case, however.

Greg
  11. XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Seattle, wa, King.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I use that long red thing in my Plano Jr. Fisherman box! It has a fat round end and a not so fat round end! Do it right and the gills of the fish get torn and they bleed out before they hit the stringer! The KR is made of a space age poly material, somewhat of a gummy outer core for grip and a hard plastic otherwise. It really is a neat little tool, I do not use one and I guide in Montana because I hate having too many things dangle off of me, it gets in the way of sucking on a cold Schmidty or a warm Flask! To those who do use it, they love it! Me, give me a Hemostat, nice and long please....oh and a cold Schmidty!
  12. Steelie L Member

Issaquah
    Greg: 90% of my trout fishing is done with flies in the #10-18 range. The standard medium-sized KR handles these fine. For larger flies (I rarely use anything smaller than #18), I just just my hemostats or fingers.

Thus far, all of my fly fishing has been in freshwater, so I can't speak to the KR's durability in the salt.

Tight lines.
  13. Skunk Butt New Member

I had a good friend give me the best and cheapest tool for extracting flies. You take a clothes hanger and a pair of pliers with cutters and it will take you about 2 minutes to make. Cut 6" of the hanger and at one end make two 60 degree bends at about 1 " apart. Presto you are done. I put a cork on the other end in case it falls in the river...guess I could attach it to a lanyard as well... I will take a picture. Works just like a ketchum release. :pROFESSOR
  14. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Along these same lines. When I went to the Sportsman Show in Puyallup this year the Dept of F&W were handing out just what you all are talking about. All It looked like was a cup holder on the end if a wooden rod.

But I don't have to worry about unhooking fish,as lately I just can't seem to catch any.

Jim
  15. pwoens Active Member

Spokane, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Im with you Jim...I have sooo many excuses why I havent caught fish lately that I have no need to put in my two cents on the KR :LOVEIT . But I have used it and it works great, granted I have gone back to my hemostats for carrying ease. As mentioned earlier, to each his own. It all comes down to your personal preference.
  16. mtp1032 New Member

Sammamish, WA, US.
    I use a hemostat with a cylindrical slide for the leader. You hook the leader in the cylinder and slide down to the hook. Unfortunately, my problem is my eyesight. I [usually] have to get up close and personal with the poor fish in order to find and grip the bend of the hook - and this means [gently] handling the fish.

Sigh!

Michael

Remember, Son. Catch, Gloat, then Release.
  17. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    Fishing with barbless seems to eliminate the need for an extra tool to shove in the fish's face. I don't really care about damage to my fly. I'd bet that fishing with the proper weight rod & leader, and knowing how to play and land a fish with the intent to release will do more for the fish. I'd rather have fingers in my mouth than a plastic stick. Just my opinion. The again, I don't fish #20. Or anything less than 6, actually.
  18. Chinook Electric New Member

Just to muddy the waters a little more, I use a release for trout that is made locally here in Spokane. Runje release. It is simple and inexpensive. It is a wire with a loop. Clips on your jacket with a simple clip. Has a float built in for when you drop it.

All you do when the fish is close is hook your leader with the loop (1-2 seconds)grab the leader below the realease with your left hand with a downward motion, lift the release with your right hand, as the loop of the release touches the hook the fish falls off the hook. The whole process lasts about 3-4 seconds, if the fish is somewhat small, I lift him out of the water for a good look NEVER TOUCHING HIM. The release is then clipped back on to the coat. Works very good with chironomids.
  19. troutman101 Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    It is funny how some folks follow marketing trends and buy the latest and greatest once all the mags have written good reviews on them and then they see TV shows using the same products. Next thing you know, we will all be wearing nothing but Simms wading clothes, Sage flyrod and reel and line and matching case, Ex Officio clothing, Ketchem Releasers, Umpqua flies and Geneticially modified hatchery trout.

Welcome to the world of sheep.

I'll stick to using my damn fingers to release a hook. You can argue as much as you want about harming fish but I don't really care.

This is a stupid topic.
  20. Steelie L Member

Issaquah
    Take a chill pill, dude. If it's "a stupid topic," just ignore it. You can name-call all you want, but the fact of the matter is that a Ketchum Release minimizes handling of the fish and is -- unless you've got tiny fingers -- capable of handling tiny flies with far greater dexterity than the fingers of any grown man I know.