Key Largo Info???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by deansie, Jan 31, 2013.

1. deansie

deansie Member

Anyone fished in the Immediate Key Largo area? Heading down at the end of March to Marco Island and we decided to extend the trip a couple of days and head to Key Largo. Will only have a couple of hours one day to head out, unguided, so wondering if its worth it? Have 2 little kids and already doing 2 days guided in Marco with my old man so a 3rd day isn't really an option but will have a couple hours to kill when the kids go down for a nap. Any advice would be appreciated otherwise I'll have to force myself to enjoy a beer or 2 on the beach instead.

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Where are you staying in the keys? If you are on the beach, you could easily end up with tarpon right there chasing bait fish. The only problem is you are also most likely facing pilings of docks nearby if so erase any thought of actually landing a decent size tarpon. As with any touristy part of the keys, it can be be very hard to find decent open non private water to fish without a boat in a short amount of time. That doesn't mean I wouldn't try.