KFR... best seasonal beer?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Panhandle, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    I didn't see Pike Kilt Lifter mentioned...

I mean really, you can't go wrong with pretty much anything mentioned so far...
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,706 / 2
    it's not a seasonal beer.

though the thread has steered from the seasonal beer theme at first into just good beers in general.
  3. JS Active Member

Ratings: +49 / 0
    Im pretty partial to Alaskan Ambers winter lager....something to do with a wolf
  4. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +221 / 0
    really? didn't know that...seems like I only see it at a few places around this time of year...
  5. nick42 basket weaver

NCW
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    this thread is making me thirsty!
  6. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I asked because Jeremy was downing something at 10% ABV and that is the alcohol content of the DOuble Bastard but not the regular Arrogant Bastard. I figured he was guzzling some hi-octane stuff out that line of beers. So I asked.
  7. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    THe king of microbreweries, Anchor Brewing, always has a great holiday ale. They call it The "Christmas Ale" but its a different reccipe each year. THough its always different, its always good. Can' believe that one slipped the old noggin.
  8. Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I don't drink anymore - cuz I liked them libations more that I needed too....but back in the day I used to like any of the Fall Nut Brown Ales and of course it's been mentioned here.. Pyramids Snow Cap. I'm not sure if the Barley Wine Beer's are available now all the time but back then We used to keep a pony of this in the snowbank behind the dorm at Crystal Mountain. Those are some found memories... or do I actually remember them??
    Cheers,
    JB
  9. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    by try i meant I have never accomplished it...
  10. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,706 / 2
    havin me my first snow cap. never been a fan of pyramid, but this brew is damn good. seems that even the most mediocre of breweries step it up for this season. but ain't nothin wrong with that
  11. Salmo_Gairdneri Another Fly Fisher

Snohomish, WA
    Anyone saying otherwise simply hasn't tried this beer. Every year it is by far the best of all seasonal ales. Possibly the best beer brewed in America period.

-t
  12. PbSlinger New Member

Ft. Collins, CO
    Although over all I'm more of an Odells guy, I really like the seasonal from New Belgium called 2 Below more than Odell's offering of Isolation Ale.

[IMG]
  13. Jim Grant New Member

Houston, Texas
    Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome Ale - Has to be my favorite.....

History

Throughout history, beer of somewhat higher alcohol and richness has been enjoyed for the winter holidays, when old friends get together to enjoy the season. Wassail, a festival to celebrate winter and the beer that goes with it, predates the Christian era. Winter Welcome is vintage-dated with a special label each year. Serve in a traditional tankard for the holidays.

Taste
    Honey-amber-colored, creamy head of small bubbles, floral aroma and delicious malt flavor with great finesse.

Serving Suggestions
    Roast goose, smoked turkey with oyster dressing, rack of lamb, candied yams, Smithfield hams, fresh pears and apples, Christmas cake. Serve in crystal tumblers or traditional Yorkshire nonik pint glasses.

Accolade
    Silver Medal—World Beer Championships
    "Best beer I've ever had."—Northwest Brew News

Product Sizes and Quantities
    Twelve 18.7-ounce "Victorian Pint" bottles.
    Twenty-four 12 ounce bottles.
  14. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Its pretty great, but far from the best. Its not even cask conditioned.
  15. Captain Emo Member

Cleveland, OH
    I really enjoyed a few Sierea Celebrations last night. I forgot how good it was.
  16. xafisher JBrown

Sedro Woolley, WA
    I tried a Full Moon the other night(Blue Moon's seasonal), it's alright, but there are so many more good seasonal brews. Haven't tried Celebration Ale yet, I think it'll me my next purchase.
  17. JWKitsap Member

Bremerton, WA
    FYI....Barleywines will start showing up on the store shelves around the first of the year and will be in full swing by February 1.

Cant wait to try the Alaskan Barleywine this year.....first time offered in bottles......gooonna be delicious!!

and yes....Celebration Ale is the shizz....had my first pint of the season Friday night..

Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread or not, but the annual Winter Beer Fest presented by the Washington Brewer's Guild will be at Hale's Palladium this weekend (located in the brewery). Friday and Saturday....not sure of the times...check the washingtonbeer.com website to find out.....included is a vintage winter beer tasting.....Im going to try and get to that one....
  18. Dick Ross Member

Sandpoint, ID
    Just found Laughing Dog's Cold nose in six packs. If you live in North Idaho or Spokane you can find them at Yoke's. I know that they also are in Seattle but don't know where. You should really give them a try!
  19. Fishful Thinking Member

Redmond, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    So, taking the sage advise of a fellow NWFF'er, I tried the Double Bastard this past weekend. Now that's some seriously good beer! Perhaps a new favorite. Thanks, guys!
  20. jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

Toronto, ON
    Ahh... Sea Dog Pumpkin Ale.

Pretty sure you can't get it in the PNW, and you definitely can't get it here.

But, if you ever find yourself in Bangor, Maine during the Fall... You've gotta try it.