KFR: Digital SLR Cameras

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Evan Burck, Dec 2, 2007.

1. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    After recently upgrading our camera from a 2.4 to 7.1 mp (cannon as 710, perfect for wath we do), we did notice better pictures. But the other thing we noticed is mp eats hard drive space at an alarming rate.

2. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

Media:

smart people don't pay for adobe products and certainly don't spend 2k on their computers.

link removed.

have fun.

3. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
    For that reason I ended up with a Pentax Optio W Series for fishing. Easy to use and the image quality is pretty good. You can pick up one of the older models at a reasonable price. I pretty much keep mine in my pocket and take it with me most everywhere.

I'm in the same process and may ultimately end up with the Nikon D40. Not for fish necessarily but for scenery, kids, etc... MP's are over rated. The camera that died (due to "water exposure":rofl:) was a Cannon 2MP point and shoot. Took incredible pix. The 'prosumer' class are probably what you are in the market for, but, buy it from a shop where you can get the extended 'no questions asked' warranty. Water exposure happens!

4. Jay Allyn

Jay Allyn The Poor-Student Fly Fisher

Media:

Ahh...but a smarter person would buy a legit version of Photoshop or any software if they where using it for business purposes and making a profit. But then again not everybody will do this.

5. Chris Puma

Media:
    i still saved you a hell of a lot of money with newegg! :)

6. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

When you're comparing 2.4 to 7.1 you will indeed see a difference. I remember going from 3.0 to 7.1, and it was indeed noticable. But from my 7.1 to my 10.2 DSLR, the difference is negligible. The difference comes in my ability to use the right lens for the job with the DSLR.

I'm not a photography expert, so don't everyone jump on me all at one time, but I have read in many places that 6.0 mp is considered to be on the same level of resolution as film. Meaning, if you want to have a picture blown up to 8x10, you'll see pixelation with a 2.4 mp camera, whereas you won't with 6.0 and above.

The other thing people often forget is that all mp's aren't the same size. The digital sensor on various cameras are of different sizes, and aspect ratios. Take two 10 mp cameras, one with a larger sensor, and it's mp's will be larger than in the camera with the smaller sensor, yet they're both 10.0 mp cameras.

Again all you photo pros, don't crucify me all at once. I'm just relaying what I've read in the photo rags. :ray1:

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Clearly you haven't been paid a visit by the software piracy police. A good friend just had to cough up $42K (yep, $42,000) in fines for using pirated versions of Adobe software in his design studio.

You may think you're somehow above the law, but believe me pal, when you've gotta take an unwanted second mortgage on your home you'll look back on this post and wish you hadn't been such a smart ass.

K

8. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    This is one of those statistics that is very hard to actually prove. As it's really up to each person to decided if the photo from camera A is better than the photo from camera B. I will say that for 90% of the people shooting photos, a camera between 6-10mp is going to be just fine.

You have worded this a bit wrong, but the basic idea is correct...and very important. A 10mp sensor chip that is the size of your fingernail has it's imaging pixels crammed together in a much smaller space than a sensor chip that is the same size as a 35mm frame of film. When crammed onto a tiny sensor, the resulting image is not going to be as high quality.

9. Chris Puma

Media:
    good thing i don't have illegally licensed copies of adobe! :thumb:

you're risking it if you're using illegal copies for business purposes. sucks for your friend but it's a common know fact.

10. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Hmmm. . .

Didn't you just write this?

So which is it smart guy?

K

11. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Josh... I really love this statment! I agree with you! :thumb:

I want to add another point that I think is very important for people that want to get into DSLR "system" .

When you want to switch to DSLR. That is because: 1) You want higher quality images. 2) You want to be able to change lens, add flash light and have micro function (even super magnifying function with extension tubes). This means you are buying a system, not only a body/a lens. You probably wish (in the near future) you can afford another tele lens for shooting birds or kids... You might want to add a bigger flash light for shooting friend's wedding... or a micro lens... The more you buy,eventually, the more you become get into one brand, means more difficult to jump to other brands... YES, You are stocked... unless you want to start all over again. Example. A very famous wildlife photographer Art Wolfe, He mentioned the courage he got from switching Nikon to Canon was from a thief. He lost everything, includes 2 week's field work result.

Anyway, just want to address that choose a suitable brand is very important for DSLR. A lot of people recommend buying big names. The reason behind it, is you can get cheaper price for their quick updated strategies. You got more used equipment opportunities in the market. They also have full line of different little things, even other side brands make "things" for those big names.

Don't think you just want (and will) use one body/lens... You will surprised how quick you change your mind after you start browsing photo website. Although high quality lens are always expensive. You also can get some super value/ quality lens from the DSLR. e.x. 50mm/f1.8 cost $60, awesome lens.

When refer to pixel, I do think over 8 mega pixel is nessary though, IF you want to sell your photo to publisher. I know some of the publishers set the line around 8 mega pixel. If I remember it right, people in the print industry told me the film quality (ISO 50, Fujifilm Velvia ) would be equal 12-16 mega pixel.

However, I do agree 6 mega pixel is already plenty for webpage or some post manufacturing.

(keep talking...)
    The other factor have been overlooked in DSLR is the image quality that other than pixel value. I don't know have you guys noticed that even your pocket P&S are equal pixel value to another DSLR. The image quality looks different (the color gradient, dark corners...)... It might due to the fact that the pocket P&S has smaller lens/and smaller sensor. Thus the image doesn't comes out as good as their DSLR companion.

Be honest with you, P&S or DSLR, all good. Just depends how you use it...
    I do have a 1.3 mega pixel P&S. It about the size of a sushi. I always have it in my front pocket... easy reach and easy use. I have the DSLR in my backpack. When some shot of lifetime appear, I won't regret...

Good luck for your shopping!

12. Chris Puma

Media:
    wait, you're right. i do use flash! sorry dude. i just read thisisfly and almost forgot. ptyd

whatever K. i don't know anyone who would pay for a personal copy to use in their home. maybe it's the generation gap between us. it's comforting to know someone is worried 24/7 about securing our internet from illegal software usage. :rolleyes:

back onto evan's topic of buying a slr camera.

evan, dave has the right idea about what camera to carry. i like his fuji.

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would but I tend to be honest and abide by the law.

14. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Watch out for the newer fujis, I use the S7000 right now and love it with the raf mode. I guess the newer ones they didn't quite get it right. The newer fujis have been getting some rather poor ratings.

Daryle

15. pastorbrian

pastorbrian Member

Besides the illegal software advice from a tool, you have gotten some great advice here.

I just (thanksgiving) invested in the canon RebelXTi. Awesome camera, 2 lenses, 18-55 and 75-300, filter, 1 GB CF card, bag, and helpful DVD.

The most fun I have ever had!
    My buddy, 2 days later, grabbed the Nikon d40 set up. The only real difference is the big lens is 70-200 ( i believe)
    It is awesome as well, so you cant go wrong with either.

However, these probably won't go fishing with us!

Have fun, don't steal and you'll sleep better!

PB

16. Ed Johnston

Ed Johnston Fly4Fish

Media:
    I have a Canon Rebel XT with a 70-300 lens and a Pentex Optio W30. I like the fact the W30 is water, and dustproof and take every where I go in the outdoors, the Canon stays in a water sealed bag until I'm in an area I feel safe that it won't fall in the water. The other plus side for the W30 is cost I got it on line for $203 delivered. The mega pixel ratings are similar but the picture quality is obviously better with the Canon due to lens.

Just a side note, my father taught me the definition of integrity when I was very young as how one acts when nobody is watching, I've past that definition down to my sons, and daughter too.

17. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    What make and models were your 2.4 and 7.1mp cameras?

I've personally found that the lenses in Canon P&S cameras are among the best available - sharp, bright, contrasty, and wiht bright, saturated color.

You're dead right about how much disk space the bigger images require.

K

18. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    The 2.4 was an old Nikon coolpix 2500. served us very well, but started to get lines in the dispaly when turning on. Had not effected the pics, then we swamped the canoe and got it wet. The new camera is a Cannon power shot A710IS. Really geat camera, nice functions and a 6X optical zoom. Since we have a little one the video function is handy. The only thing I do not like about the 701 is I feel like I am going to break the door for the batteries every time I open it??

19. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Kent speaks the truth. The Canon P/S cameras have always treated me very well. I think I have had 4-5 different ones. Mostly the "S" and "SD" series. A Pentax Optio W30 has replaced my Canon P/S. But to be honest, aside from the waterproof feature, I don't like it quite as much.

20. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Despite their Nikon heritage, the earlier Coolpix lenses produced images that were less bright and contrasty compared with those of most other P&S cameras. Blue sky rendered by early some Coolpix looked decidedly grey rather than the blue we know it to be. Switching to the Canon's superb optics must have seemed like you died and went to heaven.

The image immediately below was shot by a Coolpix 2500. On the bottom is one from a Canon A710IS. Look at the difference in the blue sky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

K