Kick Boats

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by wet line, Dec 30, 2004.

1. wet line

wet line New Member

I am looking for an alternative to my canoe. It has to be easily carried in to some brushy lakes. A pontoon boat won't serve the purpose.
    Does anyone have experience with Water Masters kick boats? Do you sit too low that casting would be a problem and is there an apron to cover the opening to catch all the things I routinely drop. Any input pro and con is greatly appreciated.

Dave

2. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

3. wet line

wet line New Member

Thanks Jason, I am aware of the program. However I don't have the experience Chris asks for to borrow them and I wouldn't BS him about my lack of experience.

Dave

4. 7FLY

7FLY Rob Novak

If You Used It In A Lake I Think It Would Be O'k To Use One, I Think He Only Was Concerned About Using It In Moving Water If You Were Inexperinced.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Yes Dave I would go thru Chris to try one out. Just see about the smaller of the two that he has and take it to a lake and give it a try. But there are others out there that will do the same on lakes. You should give the Fat Cat series a try. They range in several different sizes and price ranges. And being the good guy you are,I won't send you in the wrong direction.

I know of one fly shop that rents both of these items and that is one of the sponsers. "All About the Fly" in Monroe does it.

Jim

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Good question, Dave. I was wondering the same thing. I would just get a good float tube, except that I often get leg cramps when using fins after walking any distance, and having oars to fall back on would be a good thing.

Even when I was younger, living on Oahu, I would sometimes get a leg cramp while wearing fins bodysurfing. especially if i had been jogging or hiking in the days prior. Yoga and stretching didn't help much to stave them off. I do alot of walking, and my calves are really tight, and although I stretch daily, I still am susceptible to those *&%$ cramps, so I was also thinking of a Watermaster. The cost of aquisition, as well as the price of the accessories has put me off so far.

I was thinking a float tube and some webbed surf gloves (a gimmick invented to relieve weak-paddling gremmie surfers of their $$) as a backup. When a leg cramp strikes, I will hold my fly rod by biting down hard on the handle (dual purpose of preventing embarassing screaming) and rowing to shore with my arms.

There are quite a few lakes I have in mind...

edit: old ping-pong paddles or something similar might work on a float tube. Anyone try this yet?

Jimbo

7. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Yes, they have stripping aprons and big ones at that. You sit about as high as in a pontoon boat; much higher than a float tube. When I've been sight fishing from a watermaster in lakes, I've even stood up on the seat to get a better vantage point.

8. fishmagnet

fishmagnet Bent rods and tight lines!

I have a watermaster and a Bucks Bronco. I have had the WM for about 6 years and love it. If you to buy only one boat, this would be it. Great in lakes and I have had it in class III+ rivers. It is nice to fish the Yak as if you get a fish and the water is shallow, you can just stand up and the boat stays with you. It compresses down into its own pack (which serves as a dry bag when not storing the boat) and can be put easily in the trunk.
    If you have to portage, it is light and you just stand up and grab the handles on the side and walk out.
    I have also used it when fishing alone. I truck my motorcycle, leave the truck at the pull out and ride the motorcycle with the WM pack on my back to the pu in. Chain up the motorcycle, flost the day and drive back up to the put in and get my mootercycle. Very handy. It also holds more wight than a comparable pontoon. 500 vs 350-400 pounds.
    The only drawback to me is that it doesnt row against the current as well as the pontoons since you are in a raft and more drag against the water. The good part is since it is a raft you won't stick a pontoon in a hole in fast water.

9. Jim Wallace

Thanks, fishmagnet. That's what we want to hear...unbiased(we hope) testimony! Keep 'em coming, Watermaster users. My take has been that it is the ideal blend of float tube and pontoon...packable and rowable, suitable for both lakes and rivers. :thumb:

Jimbo

10. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Wet Line, I think "easily carried in to some brushy lakes" eliminates the Watermaster entirely. My buddy fishes out of a Watermaster and he is at a huge disadvantage on walk-in lakes trying to drag that thing along. I have one also and although it is good for drive-to water or moving water I would suggest you find something far easier to transport for walk-ins. It is not just the boat you are hauling anyway but fins, waders, rain gear, rods, vest,water and probably some lunch.
    I am using a Super Fat Cat with backpack straps for walk-ins and it works out very well. I had used a Bucks Bags Mustang for several years because at 6# it was easy to walk with. The SFC is about twice that but you sit up much higher, it is faster, more comfortable and holds more gear. I routinely pack the pockets with a water bottle, food, rain gear, reel, etc. I wear my vest and breathable waist high waders for the walk in. Fins clip to the boat and I carry a 4 pc flyrod in one hand and have the other hand free.
    The SFC has a nice apron and holds a spare rod assembled and pointed to the rear without any modifications. Other top-line float tubes offer similar amenities and performance. Just be sure to get something with straps though. A boat might seem light in the parking lot but a mile later after trying to find a comfortable way to tote it you will be aching for some straps. And then you have to walk back out........Ive

11. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Lakes aren't an issue. In fact I wouldn't have a problem if you went with someone experienced down the Yak. Either way you should be using a PFD.

As Jim suggested the smaller WaterMaster (Grizzly) is light enough to do the trick for you. Pop me a PM or Email if you would like to try it out.

Chris

12. Jim Wallace

Thanks, Ive. I want to hear all the negatory considerations as well.

Loading up on potassium (eating alot of bananas) and keeping well hydrated might help on the leg cramps I fear from using fins in a float tube, but then I might suffer from the "banana curse." :confused:

I've been looking at those Super Fat Cats, and maybe I'll just have to set out to prove the banana curse wrong...I think it only affects saltwater and anadromous species anyway, as I've had bananas in my canoe and still enjoyed decent trout fishing.

Jimbo

13. Chris Scoones

If you want a boat that'll handle more, I'd consider a WM. As for packing them in through the brush, you keep them in the bag which has padded shoulder straps and inflate when you get to the water. If you're just planning on fishing still water, I'd look at a fat cat as well.

14. Curtis

Curtis New Member

as for the cramps, I have even bought potassium tablets, they work wonders! Give them a shot.

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Yes on the pills but bananas taste better and are cheaper.

Jim

16. Chris Scoones

Jim, would you take a bannana on a boat? I think we may have stumbled on the cause of your fishing slump. :p

17. wrench

wrench Member

Being the cheap SOB that I am, years ago I started making my own kickboats out of styrofoam. Even made a couple that fold and mount on a backpack frame so I can take them into the local lakes. They are really stable and functional, and anybody can make one in short order. Even made one with oar locks for a guy. ANyway, if anybod is interested, would be glad to describe the process.

18. Nol

Nol Needs to fish more..

I have a Fishcat that works great...its light and less bulky when inflated and probably could be fitted w/ straps or stuffed (deflated) into a pack for longer treks.

19. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I eat bananas for what was mentioned. As you get older you start having problems with hand cramps. Bananas help that way and yes I would take one out in a boat. The banana jinx is an old wives tale. So there :p

Jim

20. LeakyTiki

LeakyTiki Member

Wrench,
    Do you have any pictures of said kickboats? Did you use sheet styrofoam ei.
    ridgid insulation type materials? I'd love to see what you came up with.
    Thanks,
    LT :cool: