Kickboat at LP?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by daveypetey, Sep 14, 2012.

1. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this. Too much current? I was thinking about putting mine in tomorrow morning if the is no wind. My only other concerns is the current. Anything else? I am so sick of seeing the occasional big fish rising about 100-200 feet of shore.

Dave
  2. hikepat Patrick

Des Moines, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Couple issues I see with using a kick boat. One current. Two the cold Puget Sound Water. While a few use pontoon boats out on Puget Sound though they stay close to shore a kick boat puts you way to far in the water and its easy to get caught up in eel grass, currents and few wadders would keep you warm enough.
    If you want to get away from shore safely up grade to something the floats you higher and can be controled in large wave action and current better. A 8 foot of bigger heavy duty potoon or a kayak will work though just yesterday I got into light trouble even with the kayak and had a hard time getting back to shore due to sudden wind coming up. It took me 4 stokes to cover what I can normally due with one and by the time I got back to take out I was wet from chest down and kayak had many gallons of water inside it.
    Good thing I been in this type of thing before and I kind of enjoyed it rather then being freaked out by it. Funny part is if I had been having any luck I may have not come back in and really got into trouble. I been in kayaks now for 20 years fishing Puget Sound. Spent yesterday fishing in the middle of the trolling crowd because that were the fish were yesterday about 1/4 mile off the shore.
    Tacoma Red likes this.
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Plenty of fish this year to be caught off shore at various Puget Sound and Hood Canal beaches to hassle with a toon IMHO. You won't be able to cast any further then from the beach due to sitting down, plus the fish are always moving. A fish that jumps out far from the shore may be another 200 feet off shore or right on shore within a few minutes. The jumpers aren't usually the players, but they let you know fish are around.
    Once you row out to 200 feet, what are you going to do once the fish start jump right next to shore?
    Tacoma Red and mtskibum16 like this.
  4. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +215 / 0
    just remember, you are in a kick boat and can't keep up with a 2 knot current. you may have a long walk back, provided that the current is along shore and not out to sea.
  5. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Thanks for the input. Yeah after after watching the kelp fly past the beach the other day I though better of throwing in the old floaty.
  6. marianigp Member

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    First, what's LP?
    Second....I have to agree with hikepat, you'd probably be freezing in no time.
    I've used my 9 foot pontoon at Kayak Point a couple of times, wind and rowing against the current can be rough and exhausting.
    I've since upgraded to a 13' kayak, much better and faster.
    I wouldn't go with the kickboat.
  7. Cruik Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +141 / 0
    The tide can really get ripping at LP. There are other places in the sound where that's not the case, though. Just as a rough estimate, I've used the NOAA site to try and predict how strong currents are: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/currents11/tab2pc2.html#117 But nothing is better than scoping it out in similar tidal conditions.
  8. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +423 / 0
    LP= Lincoln Park in West Seattle.