WTB Kids setup

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Eric Denny, Apr 19, 2013.

1. I have a 5yr girl and a 12 yr both seem really interested and say the want me to teach them how to fly fish. I am looking to get something that would work around those line's. So if any of you have tryed to teach your kids to fish and happen to have one of those kinds of rods around please let me know what you are asking. Thanks

2. The Redington Minnow outfit is a great setup for kids; it's kid sized, but it's one they can also use when they get older. If they decide they don't want to fly fish, you would like it, too. :) Great stick for the cutts in your area. Echo makes a great kids rod, and Ross offers their Journey outfits in pink and blue, as just the rods or as an outfit (with matching-colored reels and reel-on rod case, including line, ready to fish!). Again, any of these outfits would work well for you if your kids decide fly fishing isn't for them. Also, the nice thing about each of these outfits is the unconditional lifetime warranty. They are kids and, if the rods get used much, accidents happen and rods will be broken. The warranty would more than pay for itself in those/that instance.

These outfits would make someone a nice gift, one they'll remember for a looong time! :)

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  3. Yeah I have checked into that and will go that rout if I don't find something on here I am just figuring that someone else might have one of these setups already. But thanks for trying to help.

4. I have a set up I used for my son to start. It's a Pflueger Purist rod 2pc. 7'6" 4wt. Has a SA 5/6 LA reel loaded with a SA WF 4wt. floating line. Looks new except for some dirt on the cork. He used it about 5 times then stole my TFO and it's been sitting in the case ever since. Comes with a rod/reel case. $80 plus whatever shipping cost.

Attached Files:

5. I am not selling it but what I did was have a friend that does rod building take a 6wt 7 foot blank and put on a trimed down switch style cork handle with an uplocking seat then matched it up with a matched up with a Galvan T6. My daughter is just a few months shy of 4years old and although she needs to work on timing with a delta she can launch a trimmed down skag with 4 feet of t8.

6. I am looking more for something they both could use to start out with then if either of them really want to do it I can get them there own out fit but thats

7. if you don't mind me asking how much did it run to do all that? Thant sounds like the best idea I have heard.

8. X2 on the Reddington Minnow. I purchased two for my sons for about $60 each from Sierra Trading Post for Christmas.

9. So Scottmel your saying that the minnow is a good bet?? Where those the outfits or just the rods?

10. Cabelas has the Cahill set up and it's usually on sale. Might be worth checking out.

11. I will have to check it out. Thanks

12. Yes, it includes a 2 PC rod, reel and line.

13. Yeah I checked them out and they are sold out right now.:( But thanks for the heads up.

14. Get a couple of new 6.5ft and 7ft Eagle Claw Featherlights with a couple vintage Martin 60 or 62 and 61 or 63 reels off Ebay for them respectively. Shouldn't cost you more than $100.

15. Red's has the Minnow in stock (as recently as yesterday) and they ship for free. Hard to beat that!

16. I found a set up at cabela's on sale for 70$ think I am going to give that a try.

17. That sounds like your best bet.

18. I have a couple of 3 pc. 5 wts I built years ago and Cortland Crown reels and lines to go with them which you may have for your kids.
    I live in Seattle. Bob Young 206-323-2189.

19. PM sent Bob

20. i have a nice g loomis blank 9ft 5 weight with reel and rio gold line for cheap message me if your interested.