Kimball's Emerger Variation (SBS)

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Marty, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Marty

Marty New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I thought you guys up north might like to see the type of fly we fish down here in Utah during the winter for trout. Our midge hatches occur every day during the winter and you can catch fish on dries almost all day long. The guides lock up with ice most days but you sometimes get lucky and hit a warmer day. The snow piles deep on the banks and it’s a winter wonder land but it is a lot of fun. The intro was for the Utah guys, if you are wondering. So if you are fishing water that has good midge activity, this fly will work for sure.

My son Trevor’s is a midge maniac. I think it comes from grinding it out all season long without a break from guiding. When the trips finally slow done he can take some time and do some fishing for himself. His passion for this micro winter fest has inspired me to break out some of my old school midge patterns and join in on the fun. The midge fishing the last few winters has produced some very memorable days. The hatches have been consistent and the fish seem dialed in on the small bugs. Unlike the Batis hatch the midge pop all day long with the main flurry at midday. It was common to see a nose as early as eight in the morning and as late as sundown. The challenges of midge fishing coupled with the sometime extreme weather conditions add an element that is hard to find any other time of the year. The Kimball’s emerger was the main inspiration for this fly. I had been (and still do) fishing the Kimball’s for a number of years with exceptional results. The pattern was productive everywhere I fished it and became a go to pattern for midging. When Darlon first came out I started tying the tail/shuck with the synthetic material. At first I just tied the Darlon in straight like a Sparkle Dun. Furling the shuck came via a fly tying session with the buds and the variation was complete. The fly produced well on its first outing and I found it was easier to keep it up in the film. The Darlon captures small bubbles and the material being translucent really adds to elution. It’s a bug worth having in the Winter Box. Thanks for looking, good tying and better fishing.

Kimball’s Emerger Variation (Furled Kimball’s)
    Hook: Size 18-22 pupa hook
    Thread: 8/0 tan
    Shuck: Pumpkin Darlon
    Body: Peacock herl
    Wing case: Sparkle Organza white

[​IMG]

To begin start the tying thread just behind the midpoint of the hook. Secure in a length of Darlon with three to four firm wraps. The Darlon will be doubled over on its self so to gauge the proper amount of fibers use half of what looks right. It is easy to overdo it so remember less is best.

[​IMG]

With the Darlon firmly secured to the hook begin twisting the material counter clockwise. The move is much like dubbing, just without dubbing. Twist the Darlon as tight as you can then while pulling the twist to the rear pinch the material at the length you want the shuck. While maintain the hold on the twist pull the tag ends forward to the tie in point. While maintain a hold on the tag end let the twist go. The Darlon will now furl on its self, creating a braid like twist. You can also use a bodkin to gauge and hold the twisted Darlon prior to furling. It’s kind of hard to explain but you just pull the twisted Darlon around the needle then back to the tie in point. Then you just slide the needle out and the Darlon will furl back on its self.

[​IMG]

Next secure in a peacock herl and the Organza. If you don’t have Organza any white synthetic will work. You can also substitute dubbing for the herl. However the herl seems to draw more attention.

[​IMG]

Bring the peacock herl forward and secure. Remember you will be bringing a wing case forward so don’t crowd the eye.

[​IMG]

Pull the wing case forward and secure. Pull up on the tag ends and whip finish the tying thread. Clip the tag ends of the wing case, leaving a short stub, like on an Elk Hair Caddis.

[​IMG]

This one is ready for the river.

2. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    nice looking little bug
    have to give it a try
    thanks

3. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    I use that same trick with bright blue antron and a black marker to make the most amazing Dry Damsel... Casts like a leaf with feather wings, but kicks butt.

4. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Looks like a pattern that will work on the Yak during a noon winter warm spell.

5. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    ^ I agree. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

6. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
  7. Marty

Marty New Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    At my age the fly is hard if not impossible to see. For all of my midge work I use a 9 foot 5 X leader. I add 24 inches of 6 or 7 X Tippett depending on the fish. Some times they are a bit leader shy so I always carry the light tippets. Most of the time I fish just one fly. To see the take I add a small indicator to the system. I use pinch ons foam and rio's Kahuna Twisty strike indicator. I put the indicator about three feet from the fly. If I am fishing below the film with a micro shot I watch the indicator. If I am fishing the surface I watch for rise forms near the indicator and set to the rise. When things are going good I fish two flies. A larger dry with the emerger dropped behind. I then will use the dry as the indicator. The system rocks for any type of micro fishing.

8. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    nice I wish my river had better midge fishing.

9. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    Sounds good
    I have hair wing attractor pattern I like to use as a strike indicator given it is so easy to see
    Think the two of these should work well will let you know

thanks again for the pattern

View attachment 46555