kinda haunting...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by the_trout_bum, Aug 15, 2008.

1. the_trout_bum ifish

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    ok so ive never even considered carring a gun while fishing. BUT, im thinkin im gonna change my mind about that one. after being tracked (hunted) by a cougar/mountain lion the size of a vw bus while fishing the yakima last winter, and with all the bear/cougar/etc problems theyre having in the lowlands even this late into the summer, i think its time to have some protection. i'm almost predominantly fishing on my own in mostly very very secluded areas, so theres another reason to bring some extra enforcement.

does anybody else carry firearms while theyre in on the fish? im not 21 so no handguns suggestions, and dont even start me on bearspray. what does everybody else carry?

.17hmr? small, compact, easy to carry via strap or strapped to your backpack
    .204?
    .223?

lemme know your thoughts on this one.
  2. tim beez beach maggot

WA
    My friend was stalked back home while deering hunting, guess the deer urine and calls didn't help much less the lsd. Anyways, scared shitless, I witnessed him walking backwards with his 45 in hand and pale white. Later we went out with some semi auto rifles and found a ton of Mt. Lion tracks in the surrounding area. Mossberg 500 would be an inexpensive gun to carry with.
  3. Noah Pefaur New Member

Mill Creek, WA, USA.
    Trout Bum,

I carried for a while, but have found that a lot of the areas I fish in are National/State forests, and I believe that it is illegal to carry a firearm concealed or otherwise in those areas now. That, combined with the fact that if a cougar hits you you'll never see it coming, have led me to carrying Bear Spray. At least then if I have to spray it at the cougar while he's on my back I won't blow my head off in the panic. Sorry to get you started on bear spray.
    N
  4. 2506 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Bear spray has been proven more effective than a handgun for bear defense. Since you're not 21, lugging around a rifle or a shotty seems a bit extreme.
  5. Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Lakewood,Wa.
    If a hand gun can't be had then my suggestion would be a 12g Shotgun. A short barreled home defense pump with an 18in barrel. It will hold three rounds. Load it with (2) 00buck and (1) slug.

There's plenty of inexpensive models you can pick up for under $300.00.

If the rifles you mentioned are all you have access to...forget the 17hmr, it's to small a caliber unless it's a killer rabbit stocking you.
  6. Jason Wood Guest

I've seen pistols that are chambered for a .410 shotshell...
  7. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    If it's legal and the guy wants to carry a firearm let him carry. We've been thru this before so just answer the question. Don't take it down the path that every other gun thread has gone down. The pro vs anti gets pretty old.
  8. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    If were to pack heat for bears/ cougars this would be the gun. Compact, easy to sling, basic to opperate and high capacity. The also have 8 and 9 shot models.

Mossberg 500 Tactical Cruiser
    6 SHOT 12 ga. 3" PISTOL GRIP ONLY, 18 1/2" barrel, 5 3/4 LBS $413.00

[IMG]
  9. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +425 / 0
    If I were to carry a firearm for security reasons in the backcountry, it would be a short-barreled 12 gauge with the plug removed and the max # of rounds of 00 buck. A rifle requires an aimed shot, whereas you just point a scatter gun. And as I was moving up a trail I wouldn't carry it over my shoulder- it would be in my hand so that I could use it as quickly as possible if necessary. Of course, if I were fishing it would be out of reach, so I'd hope to not need it while fishing ; ) There are still many disadvantages to that, as there are with any firearm or defensive tool. But I've seen first hand what 00 buck can do to a coyote sized critter at 50 yards, so it's the firearm I'd choose if I were really concerned about my safety in the woods.
  10. djzaro New Member

gone, bs
    I carry, but most survival stories I've seen or heard of were the result of a knife. Usually you will not have a chance to pull up a cougar before he is already on top of you. If cougar is your main concern I would carry a large knife on your side for hand to paw combat. Just my opinion after watching all the survivors on tv talk about how they fought off the cat when it had them pinned down. To each his own.
  11. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    A big ass bowie style knife I made is my sidearm of choice. I actually carry it more than my .41 mag revolver. The knife is just more useful all the way around, It has a 16 inch drop point blade that is about 1/8 inch thick and hollow ground to a razor's edge. Not exagerrating on the razor's edge either, my knife isn't sharp until it passes the rubberband test. Since I now bow-hunt I think I might start packing bear spray in those beary areas I hunt due to regulations on carrying side arms wihile hunting with the bow. Tight lines.

BTW

Mossberg also makes a marine grade version with the full stock. Might be better for wet fishing situations.
  12. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    If my only option was a long gun, I'd pick whatever is easiest to carry and comes in a suitable caliber. Just pulling numbers out of the air, I'd go .223 minimum for a rifle and 20ga for a shotgun. Maybe a youth model pump action 20 gage? Packing a long gun while fishing is going to be cumbersome, though it's done in some places. A knife wouldn't be a bad option.

That only applies to National Parks.
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    I would have to concur with those recommending a stout bladed weapon. If you are truly being stalked you are at a disadvantage, you are the prey, you will be up for a surprise attack. In such situations with animals, espeically stealth capable ones like the cougar, they will be upon you faster than you can unshoulder, swing, aim and fire. Much like law enforcement training teaches the 21 foot rule. If an attacker (normal human) is within that 21 foot gap the officer will not be able to draw, aim and fire before that gap can be closed. Every cougar that is not already injured is much faster than any man and also employ superior stalking skills. Protect your head and neck, survive the first attack, unsheath the blade and bury it early and often, you stand your best chance of walking away with that bladed weapon in my opinion.
  14. Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I hear you on the concern, I am also a predominantly solo backpacker/fisherman. Cougars ae definately the most lethal animal around here. I wouldn't suggest packing heat, though. For the simple reason that if you can see the thing before it attacks, then you can probably scare it off without any real danger. I have found cougar tracks alongside my ski tracks, and never saw the cat itself.

Study some big cat behavior, and you'll see. They don't like to have much of a struggle with anything they kill, too much of a hassle and they risk being injured as they are a comparitively fragile predator. As the Wu-Tang Clan once said "Protect Ya Neck.":thumb:

In my not-so-professional opinion, a 5-6 inch easily accessable fixed-blade is your best defence in the unlikely event of an attack.
    -Ethan
  15. XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Seattle, wa, King.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Big Noise

Attached Files:

16. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +543 / 0
    I have a horrible, unreasonable and debilatating fear of mountain lions. I have thought long and hard about this one. My answer is to fish with my dog. I understand that the mighty cats don't like being around dogs. Also if the cat did want a meal that day, I believe that it would choose the 42 pound dog over me, kind of a sacrificial canine sort of deal.

Byrd,
    cds
  17. Scott Keith Member

Arlington, WA
    Just wear a halloween mask on the back of your head. Cougars typically attack from behind. If they can't tell which end is which they typically won't attack... A big knife seems like a good idea.
  18. Preston Active Member

Ratings: +435 / 0
    Honestly, do any of you really consider a cougar attack to be any kind of a plausible threat to your well being while fishing? If you do, I would suggest looking at the numbers of attacks by cougars on human beings in Washington state. Perhaps it would be best if you gave up fishing and just stayed home where you'd be perfectly safe.
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,752 / 0
    I'd read this thread but someone posted a useless big assed picture and it isn't worth all the scrolling for another pointless "do you pack" thread.
  20. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    another thing that has not been mnetioned and i cannot stress enough... GET A LIGHT on it. It isnt gonna do you a danm bit of good if you cant see what youre shooting at. Get a remote switch for it, so when your hand is on the grip, the light is engaged. Dont be a fool, a gun isnt gonna save your ass, the ability to use the gun just might though