kinda haunting...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by the_trout_bum, Aug 15, 2008.

1. cj6530

cj6530 Member

Take a statastics class at your local university....you rattlesnake dudes would probably find the class usefull as well. I love guns and knives...and by all means strap yourself all down when you fish the South Fork or wherever. But admit your doing it cause it makes you feel like a cowboy (which is an OK reason) not because of any real threat from wildlife.

2. jasmillo

jasmillo Member

as many folks have already pointed out - if a couger wants you, he will get to you before you ever get a chance to pull a firearm and get off a shot. if you have the opportunity to shoot a couger it was probably no threat because it wasn't stalking you. the best protection against cougers is probably an easily accesible knife and a pack that covers your neck.

as far as bears are concerned, how often are there actually bear attacks in which we are looked at as food. i am pulling this number out of my a$$ but my guess is that 98% of bear attacks are due to suprise, cub protection, etc.(including all if not most of the attacks happening in anchorage recently) bear spray usually works fine in these situations.

methheads and growers in forest, etc. your guess is as good as mine. maybe a firearm is the best scenario in those situations. how common are violent confrontations like this though?

I have no problem with folks carrying a handgun for protection in the forest if they are experienced and level-headed. but a young kid wanting to carry a shot-gun into the forest to protect against black bears and lions? seems like a bit of an overcompensation? there really are a ton of other things in life you should be worried about.

3. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

I am always packing, either concealed, or preferably, open carry.
    I bought a titanium 45acp revolver for reasons of weight and weather resistance.
    better to have it and not need it.
    I am worried about 2 legged predators as much as 4 legged.
    PS.....don't confuse fatal attacks with maulings and others.
    Re the original post...the small bore cartridges you mentioned are useless except for noise(I use .223 to hunt coyotes and varmints, not defense)
    you can buy a 9mm carbine for about $175 that will do damage to man or beast.
    The post above re Mossberg 500 doorbuster is as serious as a heart attack for defense but bulky.
    That's the #1 carry in AK bear country by those who know.

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Winchester 1300 with a rifled barrel. Buy the folding stock and pistol grip conversion kit. It will make it dramatically lighter and eaiser to carry. It will shoot 3 inch hollowpoint sabots and remove a cougars head from its neck. Having said that. If a cat is hunting you, It will be on you before you get a shot off. Carry a knife and a first aid kit.

5. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I don't carry big knifes or guns when I fish. I have no fear of being attacked by bears or cougars, doesn't mean I would not shit my pants if I saw one coming at me.
    But sense you are young and want to live to be old (like me) you should carry a big knife and a short barreled shot gun with 00 buck.
    I'm thinking your best defense is your fly rod sticking out 9 ft behind you when your going down the trail.
    Tie a bright colored ribbon to the tip, the cat will want to play with the ribbon and that will give you time to get your gun out.
    Now go out and have fun and be careful with that big knife and shot gun.

6. cj6530

cj6530 Member

what about if I see bigfoot and it attacks me? Big knife or the folding stock shotgun?

7. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

Media:
    :rofl:

Big knives aren't necessary, I just carry a USMC Kabar survival knife because my dad (Coastie) picked one up on an exercise in Korea for free. :D

Like Gary says, don't worry about it.
    -Ethan

8. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Beef Jerkey

9. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I carry a big gun when I go out fishing!

I keep it safely in my waders until I have to take a leak.

*couldn't believe there weren't any wise cracks like that in this thread*

10. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Sorry for the length of the following, gents but I was just compelled, as they say....!!

The really terrifying part here is the simple fact that there are already more idiots in the woods with guns than need to be: The kind who shoot at anything that moves (or doesn’t), or don’t have the first clue on how to care for a weapon, which cartridges or calibers to use for specific purposes and most importantly, basic safety principles in the use of a firearm!

Many years ago – when I could still see – I was the Range Safety Officer and Training Instructor for a local National/International Combat Pistol Shooting Team (IPSC). The first thing I taught was Safety - and the first rule of Safety is, “There is no such thing as an “unloaded firearm,” and to therefore regard every firearm in that light! This is based on the oft repeated and tiresome phrase, “Gee, I didn’t know it was loaded!” Always assume every firearm is loaded and ready to kill when handling, fondling, examining, cleaning or otherwise – until you are ready to use it for its intended purpose.

For self defense purposes there are a myriad of legal issues to confront which I will not address here due to the complexity and sheer volume of available material on that subject.

Like many of you in this thread, I carry weapons when in the woods and these days, more for protection from the two-legged variety than the four-legged ones. However, the tools I carry are what I would define as “multiple use” and can be effectively employed for a variety of needs.

Also, as noted herein, Cougars are ambush hunters and are so incredibly stealthy that you will likely not have much of an opportunity for defense against their attack – other than the same principle of “awareness of your surroundings” that one should always use in the woods OR the city!

Frequently check your back trail AND side trail; just stand quietly for a few moments and look around, observe….you will be amazed what you can see doing this one simple thing.

If you should happen to spot a Cougar stalking you, DO NOT PANIC & RUN, as this will absolutely ensure an attack. Instead observe the body language of the animal if possible and if an attack appears imminent, puff yourself up as much as possible by extending your arms overhead and/or to the sides, using whatever clothing you have, like jackets, sweaters or backpacks to make yourself appear larger. Use whatever time you have to prepare the weapon/s you have – knife, machete, gun, walking stick, club, whatever….but whatever you do, DO NOT PANIC & RUN, it is far better to stand your ground and fight the best way you can. A classic case of “Bluff & Bluster,” actually being of some value.

Believe me, no matter how big & tough you are or how many fellow home-sapiens you’ve whupped or whatever skills & prowess you think you possess in bar fights & street brawls they will be of little use against a cat – especially one you never saw coming! Your eyes, ears and sense of awareness of your surroundings is your best initial line of defense. :ray1:

JC:)

11. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

iagree...hehehe! Just like in the commercials for Jack's Links (tm), eh? "Course you could still get swatted if ya ain't careful.....!:rofl::rofl:

JC:D

12. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

USMC KABAR... drive it deep, extract and repeat until the cat unclamps it's maw from your neck. Joking aside, I do carry a Kabar, because I realize that I will more than likely get ambushed by a cat and not have the advantage of getting a round off in a square confrontation with a firearm.

Your knife should have a pronounced guard to keep your hand from sliding off the handle and onto the blade should you hit bone or connective tissue resistance.

You need to employ CQB for those sneaky pete type animals, let them taste your steel...

13. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    So you are paranoid of paranoid people... :hmmm:

14. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
  15. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Media:
    Sean those are sweet guns! I have a an uncle that has one similar to that one. The end of the barrel is a bit different but that gun is sweet! Some what accurate to for having to fire from your hip.

16. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    My Dad's coming out here to live with me and he's all hepped up on buying a handgun "for the cougars and bears". I've been out here over 20 years and seen like two bears and rarely seen cougar sign, and the bears were while I was driving. One of them had three legs and was walking across highway 12 like he owned it...but that all could be due to my stinky cheap cigars.
    but once in awhile I'll admit I get the creeps too. Yesterday I came across a great steaming pile of latesummer bear diarrhea, complete with berry seeds, and I suddenly had an urge to get IN the river...:eek: I'm such a "little girlie man" sometimes....:D

Carrying the gun, OK, whatever. It's a woodsmoke thing to do.;) I've thought about it plenty myself.
    maybe I'm just lazy, but I don't really care for the extra weight. A Kukri knife is enough for me...but I get a sense it really wouldn't help too much with big cats. Look at this picture
    http://search.msn.com/images/result...iresoil.blogsome.com/images/catonthetrail.jpg
    If I was to start carrying a shotgun in the lower 48 while fishing, I'd be obliged to wear an aluminum foil hat too- because there's a greater likelihood of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a cat...and both defenses are equally effective for their respective threats. I worry more about two legged threats, let that be your reason. It's more likely!
    Bob

17. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Grew up in the wilds of Montana & carried a short-barreled shotgun for bear insurance (still do, but recommend a 12 gauge over a 20). Cougars are fairly thin-skinned & don't require a a lot of firepower (many treed cats are dispatched with .22 magnums & I stopped one with a .223 when it came in to a coyote call two years ago.). Carrying a substantial knife is always a good idea, but carry it where you can get at it under duress (Kabar is a good choice). I carry a handgun all the time (where legal), but primarily as a hedge against two-legged predators. Practice situational awareness . . . cougars prefer to attack from above or behind & if you do happen to spot one, don't run . . . face the thing & it will likely vamoose.

Peter ~ yes you can. Search for "tactical shotgun accessories" . . . synthetic pistol grip & slide should run less than $50; barrel will run you triple that (search for 870 barrel). I just put together a Mossberg 500 for my Daughter ($75 for the used gun, $48 for the furniture, and <$100 @ http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/moss-bbl.htm for the barrel.

18. reamse

reamse New Member

I think this thread boils down to personal preference.

Sure i'll probably never get attacked by a cat, I might have a few run ins, especially while i'm in the panhandle this week, fishing the CDA. (Frankly i'm more scared of my car getting ripped into by a bear for my smores).

But my personal preference would be to be armed while in the backwoods, i'll have my 870 by me in the tent. Practicing proper firearm safety.

Treat every firearm as if it was loaded.
    Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
    Be certain of your target and whats beyond.
    Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to shoot.

I think if someone is familiar with firearms and they know what they are doing, by all means carry in the woods. Become familiar more with the woods, the noises the movements and what to expect.

If carry a weapon makes you feel more secure about your situation, do it. If not, don't. Become familiar with your weapon and understand your surroundings.

19. martyg

martyg Active Member

Guys - whenever I see posts of this nature I have to ask myself how many of you are really willing to put the ground work into defensive pistol work to make the tool worthwhile to carry. How many are willing to put in 500 - 1,000 rounds per weeks to make drawing and shooting as natural as breathing while you are asleep? How many will have the facilities to practice index shooting?

If your ammo and range time doesn't come compliments of the government that much shooting will set you back a bit, and unless you are shooting a full sized pistol in a smaller caliber you will be flinching so bad you won't be able to hit anything anyway.

Great if you feel all safe packing, but unless you have had significant training, and lots of repetition in an atmosphere where people who are much better than you are correcting small technique flaws, then your piece is probably more useful as a paper weight.

20. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    "Whistling" has served me well in the woods for 50 years. Don't worry about it son. There's not much to fear except fear itself. And (NFR) there were never any weapons of mass destruction either!