kinda haunting...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by the_trout_bum, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bjornjon

bjornjon Member

I've grown up in and around the woods my whole life. I've never personally had a close encounter, and neither have any of my friends or family...until deer hunting season two years ago. We hunt up in northeastern Washington in very remote areas. One of my good buddies was hunting with a small group and contacted the others on his two way radio that he thought there was a cougar stalking him. A few minutes later they heard a gunshot. Less than 30 seconds later they heard him on the radio saying he just shot the cougar and it fell less than 10 feet from him. A rifle saved him from a potentially fatal encounter.

On the flip side of the coin, my roomate is a forester and spends at least 40 hours of his week on remote mountain sides and refuses to carry a gun saying, "just be aware of your surroundings."

To each his own.

I choose to carry a mossberg 8 shot pistol grip shotgun loaded with a couple of slugs. It fits into a nice side pocket of my backpack that I can access in 2-3 seconds. I've never had to use it and I hope I never will, just like my car insurance. It's mostly for when I'm on the trail or in my tent, because it's not easy to function with while fishing.

2. cj6530

cj6530 Member

I was stalked by a cougar last night at Daniels Broiler in Lake Union. I choose to carry a 1 or 2 shot gun with a shorter barrel of prob under 6 inches. I felt like it was a potentialy fatal encounter and slayed the cougar in a dark corner of the parking lot. Be safe out there.

3. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    you shot a cougar in a parking lot in Seattle last night?:eek::eek::eek:

4. Oinker Inkers

Oinker Inkers New Member

Another option you might think about is one of those plastic 12 ga. flare guns. They weigh only a few ounces and fit easily in a pocket. I've never had the chance to try it, but I would guess that a loud, hot, bright flare in the face of any critter would make it think twice. Not to mention if you get lost or hurt, which is a much more real concern, you have a flare gun. Not a bad firestarter, either.

Also, it has long been my observation that carrying a weapon tends to be a substitute for common sense.

5. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

iagree...totally!! For most people, carrying a firearm for protection is more of a "feel-good illusion" than a truly useful implement - primarily due to the above stated conditions. If you have to "think" about what you are going to do, it'll be waaay to late; actions/reactions must be trained by repetitive actions until "muscle memory" is total - no thinking required! You think - you die, simple!

Fine motor control completely disappears or "freezes" under adrenaline duress and coarse (large muscles) muscles control dominates reactive responses.

150,000 rounds of practice per year is not uncommon for International pistol competitors and even personal handloaded ammunition in those quantities can only be accomplished on automated equipment in your basement or shop.:thumb:

Class dismissed.....:ray1:

JC:beer1:

6. steelydan

steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

This post is useless without pictures!

Was there multiple stabbing-type motions or did the shot go off as soon as the weapon came out of the holster?;)

Anyhoo...I agree with the posts that recommend handgun training and practice.
    There are a few IDPA/IPSC type shoots here in the area, one very near Snoqualmie Falls, at the bottom of the hill, Sno Valley rifle and pistol, and another at Renton gun range.

No better way to learn tactical use of a handgun than shooting and moving and reloading and doing it SAFELY.

You learn to manage the adrenaline factor and also how to point and shoot and how to use sights effectively.

7. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Since I don't own any firearms and only carry a swiss army bartender, I choose to fish with slow fat friends.

8. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Rob is spot on. It is a known fact that cougars will only attack you if you are wearing spandex.

9. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

FYI - From a similar discussion on another forum:

10. Fast Action Freddie

Fast Action Freddie Member

there are a number of rational, substantive, well-stated responses on here why packing a gun may not make sense, may not be effective, may not be warranted (e.g. statistically). i happen to agree with those responses and couldn't have stated them better.

i'll just add from my experience:
    i've been out practice firing both a .44 and also bear spray on a few occasions. i'm convinced that my chances of survival are greater with the bear spray. i'll leave it at that.

i've spent much time out in the back country of WA, ID, MT, B.C., Alberta over the last 20 years and have seen many bear, many moose, many rattlesnakes, many signs of wolves and cougar (but not actual sighting). No bad encounters. In the early years, I was unable to get a good nights sleep in a tent in the back country - my fears would get the best of me. I now sleep great, primarily because:

1. bear spray - i've never had to use it on a bear or other animal, but it is highly effective as a sleeping aid (eliminates worry/paranoia). and that's what's most important.
    2. experience and knowledge - the more you're out there, the more you get over the often-emotionally based fears. the more you learn about animal behavior and avoiding encounters, the more confidence you have that you can. the more you understand (statistically, via research) the threat, the more you can put it into perspective.

i was recently surprised to hear about the explosion of wolf population in ID. many large wolf packs on our favorite rivers. initially this was a concern for me ... did a little research and found that my concern was unfounded. or at least mitigatable (if that's a word).

not to fan the flame of gun debates, but inexperienced, paranoid, jumpy folks out in the woods with guns concerns me more than wild animals. maybe with a little experience & education, I can get over that too ...

11. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Active Member

Media:
    How many agencies are sending their people to the range weekly? Very few are getting 1000 rounds to burn up at a time when they do go.

12. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    oh man, I am such a slowleak.
    cougar=hot to trot middle aged woman seeking carnal union with a much younger man.
    only took me on 1/2 day to get it.:eek::eek::eek:

13. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

:thumb:iagree

Hahahahah....priceless pics -- be sure to enlarge to read each one :rofl::rofl::rofl:!!

JC:D

14. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Oh jeeeez....you're way ahead of me...doh!!:beathead::beathead:

JC:rofl:

15. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

still laughing! especially how to identify the grizzily scat!

16. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    The other way to identify bears is how the pursue their prey.

A black bear will climb up the tree after you; a grizzly won't bother to chase after you up the tree, instead it stays at the bottom of the tree and shakes you out of it.

17. rmflyrods

rmflyrods Member

As someone who grew up and has worked with big cats (cougars) at a rescue center, I can assure you that if a lion is going to attack you, you will not have time to scream. Let alone pull out a gun and fire. The times you will see them, they aren't going to do anything. Ambush is everything to them. Several of you have mentioned this. If a cat allows you to see him, you do what everyone says to do. Stand your ground, raise your arms and make noise. They will most likely leave you alone. If you see them, they are most likely not in an attack mode and can be scared away.

Now, if you want to pack for another reason. That's your business. But if you think that a gun will save you against a lion, well I'd disagree. Just an opinion.

Those that have brought up knives have a good point. If you are in that rare circumstance of a cat being on top of you, fight like hell. They will figure out you're not food and hopefully run away. Personally, if I were rolling around with a lion on the ground, I'd be more afraid of shooting myself than anything.

18. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Marty,

Reckon I qualify . . . if I didn't shoot & practice as much as I do, I'd: a) have more fly rods and b) likely not be here to type this. You are "spot-on" however . . . like any other tool, one must be proficient & that only comes with hours spent behind the trigger. That being said . . . having the means to protect yourself, i.e., a defense firearm of some kind (assuming at least a modicum of shooting experience), pepper spray, etc., beats bare hands or a rock hands-down, every time. At times, life can hang by a thread . . . I much prefer a strong rope to thread, but it's all about choices. There are a variety of paranoias . . . and for some reason, because someone opts to carry a personal defense firearm, they occasionally get labeled as "paranoid" by those who are "paranoid" of folks who carry. There is another appropriate descriptor that begins with "P" & myself and others fit in this category . . . "Prepared." No matter that stats may suggest the odds of various encounters/situations to be low, the fact is that such events are neither scheduled nor forecast. If I happen to become involved in one again, God forbid, I intend to be as prepared to defend myself as I was in the past, and via the most appropriate means available to me. I don't anticipate a house fire or flat tire, but I have fire extinguishers (which I also know how to use) and jacks/spare tires. To each his/her own. I'll continue to safeguard my personal well-being in my chosen fashion.

19. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

iagree...100%

JC:)

20. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    I have a sure fire trick that always works great in bear country. I carry an old-fashioned wicker creel in my truck, and I always tell whoever I'm fishing with in bear country about the awesome mojo of the creel. They'll ask questions and I'll offer it up with a guaranteed 20+ fish day if they use it.

I learned a long time ago that bears cannot tell the difference between an old style wicker creel and a picnic basket. Any child knows bears assume a picnic basket is full of all kinds of tasty treats.

I still have a couple old ones around, pretty chewed up, but still effective.