kinky question

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Tricky, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    SNB,
    When I'm stripping llike crazy, the last thing I want to think about is creating coils so my line is ready for my next cast. The basket takes care of that. It does a good job of keeping seaweed off your line and your line off barnacles, two thing of course you don't have to deal with on rivers.
    That being said, stripping baskets certainly aren't for everyone.

2. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

I've always gone with coils between my lips. Sounds like this is considered poor style by some - Whatever. This system has always worked fine for me, fresh, salt, backyard cat fishing, whatever. I can cast as far as the next guy with a crisp double haul. To me, a basket is like using a bridge in a game of pool. Not something I need, so why bring it along?

3. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Milt, that'll help ensure you "hold your mouth right," which my late uncle always said was mandatory for good catchin'!:hmmm:

I, too, hate the gnarly Rio Outbound coils. Don't much care for the running line on it. Same goes for the thin running line on my 8 wt Rio Versa-tip. Same stuff. gotta stretch it, and when it gets twisted, take off the fly and let it hang in the current or drag behind the boat to untwist.
    I am learning how to better cast this line, though. Stretch it out, double haul it, shoot it high and let it fly. Works, sort of. What the hell do I know:confused: Practice makes better...need more!

Like Stonefish, i like my Airflow multi-tip better...got it 5 years ago and the coating is holding up better than that on the Rios.

4. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

kinky question, only deeper

I have al the same frustrations withe the Outbound running lines in the intermediate head models. It gets a little better in the heavier versions. I have a 6,8 and 10 weights, and the running line gets a little easier to live with as you go up in size, unfortunately, I use the !*#@ 6 wt the most.

I also have a 6wt in the type 8 sinking with an intermediate running line, and that's a different animal entirely. The stiffer backing shoots very well, and the sinking tip drops like a toilet seat.

Best fished from the boat of course, the type 8 sinking line has been a passport into the abyss, and has hooked me into much bigger fish, including blackmouth and coho.

So, if you're looking for a dredging line and have gone sour on Outbound from using the clear/yellow models, don't let that keep you from considering the Rio. I get much less pissy using their sinking line, and find I get significantly more distance than using the Deep 7, or other full sink tapers, with good presentation in fast currents.

5. marcopolo

marcopolo Member

I now use the SA Streamer Express following Les' advice from a similar post a year ago.
    My old Rio Outbound is not going to get wet anytime soon.

6. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    I also have the SA streamer express. It has only tangled once by operator error and I never even stretch it :confused:

7. wolverine

wolverine Member

I've had the same issues with the Outbound lines. I've got them in both intermediate and sinking in 7/8/9 wts. I really dislike the running lines but love the distance. I guess I'll start hacking them up into heads with a different brand of running line. Since I'm migrating to switch rods I'd like to get to the point where its a roll cast, 1 back cast, aim it high and lett'r fly.

8. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    I use a SA StreamerExpress on my 6wt and 8wt reels for the salt. Definitely less line tangle issues and a terrific line to cast, even in breezy conditions. I like to arrive just before first light and give it a good stretch into my basket. Rarely need to repeat. Ideally, within the first couple of casts you'll get a solid hook-up and have a nice salmon to finish the job of stretching the line (the best way). The Orvis plastic stripping basket is very helpful and worth the cost.

I ended up buying the StreamerExpress after hearing the cursing of another experienced saltwater angler as he was repeatedly untangling his Outbound during an evening of good fishing. I'd been there many times myself with my old intermediate line. He had a StreamerExpress the next time I saw him. When fishing the beach time and the timing of your cast is everything. Less tangles = more fish hooked

9. Tricky

Tricky Member

Lots of good info and suggestions, much appreciated. I think I'll look into the SA streamer express. So.....anybody wanna buy a lightly used Outbound? Hardly cast and only thrown a few times...

10. herl

herl Member

I'm not familiar with the streamer express; sounds like a good choice though..
    Don't overlook Airflo's 40+ line (freshwater version), it is basically the same as the Rio Outbound, but with better running line and more of a front taper on the head.

Cast 'em both if you can, I'd love to hear a comparison..

11. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Steve, in follow up to your inciteful/insightful question about why baskets aren't used by the steelhead fisherman, in my reading I stumbled upon the below, which I though relevant and interesting.

Steve Raymond, in Year Of the Angler, references to what he believed was the first mention of a stripping basket in print from Zane Gray, writing of his trip in 1918 for his first steelhead, when he journeyed with a couple of local fishermen to Deer Creek:

“[T]hey strapped a wire or canvas basket, large as a small dishpan, to their waists…”. “The use of the basket was unique…” and the casting was described as “an admirable performance, and far from easy, as we anglers soon learned.”
    Tales of Fresh Water Fishing.

Raymond continued that the use of stripping baskets "...was an invention peculiar to the North Fork, where it was used only by bait fishermen. But later it was adopted almost exclusively by fly fishermen, who used it to store loose coils of line before making the long casts so often necessary in steelhead fishing, and so difficult to perform when many coils of line are held in the hand. … its popularity has declined since the introduction of the shooting head as a substitute for casting the whole fly line.”

Steve, its apparent that your experience mirrored that of many anglers in that the use of a "shooting head system" removes much of the problem associated with long casts in the river.

12. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    What weight Outbound? Floating or intermediate?

13. snbrundage

snbrundage Member

Thanks to all of you guys who gave opiniions on the relative ability of coils and baskets to solve the kinky problem.

Thanks Jim for the Raymond quotes, fishing must have been good. I have a better feeling now for why you folks like the basket. Your first reply referenced your Preference to strip nearly to the tip. I know that is the wise thing, and I sometimes do, but not usually. Just goes to show what I am doing out there. I love the beach and I love to make those pretty casts, when they are pretty. But I must tell anyone here who is learning to catch fish on the beaches, please ignore my bragging about eighty and ninety foot casts without false casts. That is not the way to catch the fish.

And Jim, as you and the bandido said, "Badges? We don't need no stiinking badges, (barbs)." And I don't need no stiinking basket.

Steve

14. Tricky

Tricky Member

Problem solved! I took the rio outbound back to the Avid angler, where I bought it, and told the good folks there the issues I was having. The line was actually still wet from a trip to Carkeek. Mike and Ryan suggested I try the Rio aqualux lake line, overlined to a 7wt for my TFO TiCrx 6wt rod. I went straight back to Carkeek and started shooting nice long tangle-free casts all evening. The few snarls I did have were purely operator error, and no fault of the line. Huge props to those guys! (and I didn't catch a damn thing!)