kitsap beach in the am?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Nick Clayton, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,101 / 4
    Gonna hit an area 9 beach bright and early if anyone wants to meet up. Thinking pnp or somewhere but am open to anything in the general area
  2. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    Wish I would have seen this yesterday. How'd you do?
  3. Nick Clayton Active Member

No love for me yesterday. The gear guys were consistently landing silvers during the time I was there. Saw several nice limits pulled out, but no love for any of the fly guys that I saw.

I was right down near the end of the point, and the gear guys just to my left were hooking up pretty consistently. The fish all seemed to be hooked within 30 feet of shore, so I don't think it was their distance ability that allowed them to outfish us... Unless the fish were following their offerings in from way out.
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,593 / 2
    Were you retrieving at mach speed? Sometimes, that can make all the difference.
  5. SciGuy Active Member

B.I. and surrounding points
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    I think that is often the case...which is why I like to fish next to gear guys and pick their pockets ;)
  6. Nick Clayton Active Member

Evan, as I usually do I changed my retrieves pretty constantly. Anywhere from ultra slow to ultra fast, to strip-strip-pause, to completely eradic. Didn't seem to make much difference. I had a couple grabs that felt like they could have been small rezzies or something, but who knows.

Two gear guys to my left both limited out fishing small herring and just slowly retrieving it back. Neither of these guys were casting more than about 50 feet, which led me to think that for sure the fish were within my casting range.

Frustrating as hell, as these were pretty nice silvers they were landing. Oh well, always next time.
  7. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,324 / 9
    Your fly will only outrun a coho while it is flying through the air on your cast. You cannot strip your fly faster than the coho can crush it.
  8. Nick Clayton Active Member

You know, I was thinking about this while out on the beach the other day. I always read about stripping super fast for cohos, and I have hooked up while employing this technique, but as I watch gear guys i notice most of them aren't retrieving their offerings very fast at all. Makes me wonder where us fly guys get this technique and if its truly a good thing or not.... Or is it just a matter of different gear/line/lures etc. need different approaches. I dunno.
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Are you fishing gear or fishing files. Try what I say and when we meet up you can tell me if it worked or if it did not! Fair? You did not catch anything this time your way. Fish the full 180 degree reach in front and to the sides of where you are and strip it like you stole it.
  10. Nick Clayton Active Member

lol Unfortunately if I fished 180 degrees from where I was standing yesterday I would have pissed off quite a few people.

I'm not saying I doubt that this technique works, and believe me I've done my share of stripping as fast as I possibly can. (Insert comment here....) I'm just curious where it originated or whatever since this is a technique that seems to be employed mostly by fly fisherman. In my simple brain I would think that if stripping in ultra fast was the ticket with a pink/white clouser, then why wouldn't it also be the ticket when tossing pink buzz bombs or spoons or such?

Meh, of course this is just one of a million totally random thoughts that enters my mind during any fishing outing. It never ceases to amaze me what will pop into my head while I'm waist deep in salt water.
  11. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    The one I hooked was to the beach fisher's left from the point and was easily within casting distance from shore (where the gear guys usually are). It was a good size fish but I missed the hook set. I was stripping pretty quickly.
  12. Nick Clayton Active Member

This is generally where all the action was yesterday as well. I was standing near the end of the point and casting somewhat towards the inside of the point, (left side). the ten or twelve gear guys to my left were all hooking fish pretty consistently. It seemed they were just in the right spot or something, though I have trouble believing that really had much to do with anything. I couldn't have been more than 25 feet to the right of the last guy in line, and the guys further down on the same side didn't seem to have as much action either.
  13. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    The 180 degree arc in the water in front and to the sides of you. If you can't do that , mabye you need more space.

Stripping fast? For me it happened when I was sitting on a log at PnP a few years ago. I watched this crazy guy casting a country mile like it was nothing and he stripped his line in fast as hell. Did I see him hook up? You betcha, early and often. He makes a post on here from time to time. I did not even introduce myself to him that trip. I did not want him to think I was a crazy stalker. Now that we have met, I'm sure he's sure I'm crazy. I can watch and learn though.
  14. EHB86 Member

Puget Sound and Plain, WA
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    I always have the best luck for silvers stripping what I would say is pretty fast, sometimes stripping fast and pausing. Then fast again, last week at a popular Kitsap beach I had one of those rare days, ten or so gear guys no fish, one fly rod = one silver.

Generally I hook up within forty feet or so of where I'm standing, I would say rarely out at the far end of a cast.
  15. Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I've always used clousers in a variety of colors, not the same as mentioned above. I've produced fish on days when others didn't seem to be able to hook flounders. Yeah a faster than normal strip works well, but then about the time I think I've figured it all out. They seem to be looking for something else, so the above mentioned varied stripping technique seems more like the ticket. Interesting post though.
    JB
  16. SciGuy Active Member

B.I. and surrounding points
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Wow was it dead this morning. Zero fish landed on entire beach for 1st two hours of light. Thanks, seiner boats, you guys are awesome.
  17. koolminx Member

Gorst, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Where is this mysterious Kitsap Beach? I've never heard of it... Or is it a state secret with all those gear guy's going there LOL :)
  18. Nick Clayton Active Member

Kitsap beach is just down the road from a certain hood canal lake. ;)

It's no secret where I was fishing... Point no Point is hardly a secret.
  19. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    But in general for reports, "Kitsap Beach" could be any beach on the Kitsap Peninsula.
  20. koolminx Member

Gorst, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yes I am a moron, PNP is also known as Kitsap beach or simply "A" beach in my wonderful Kitsap County? Sorry for not being able to read between the lines, or actually read the lines themselves...