kitsap coho

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by guest, Sep 15, 2001.

1. guest

guest Guest

any one who isnt fishing kitsap county beaches right now are missing the best run in years, landed a 12lb in yukon harbor on a green and white clouser. at least one everymorning before work jumpers everywhere. foulweather bluff to southworth ferry terminal is crackin.

2. Woollyworm

Woollyworm New Member

I was out this past Saturday and life was good. My question is how long are coho available to beach-bound fly fishers? I was thinking that the runs would begin to taper soon, but it looks like that's not correct. Do the fish go strong through October?

Thanks for advice.

3. n1507l

n1507l New Member

New to the area - could you be more specific on the area you're talking about?

Thanks

T.

4. guest

guest Guest

it peaks right now for area 9 and 10 . third week of september means fish everywhere. last year thet closed it from the 15 thru oct 1 because the rush of fish comes thru then. in october you can still catch them thick in spurts. but hit the water now. chums start cruising the shoreline in october in the kingston ,hansville area. try eglon, its on the way to point no point, youll see eglon road . walk norh up the shore as far as you let your self walk cause pilot point is one of the top producers for chrome chums then. large enough schools for bites. oh yeah pilot point is that first point you see at the boat launch lookin north. the area i was referring to was hansville, the northern most town on the kitsap penninsula, and port orchard area like manchester to south worth ferry terminal. good luck;-)

5. Woollyworm

Woollyworm New Member

Howdy,

We're discussing the summer/fall runs of coho salmon ("silvers") in the Puget Sound, Hood Canal, Admiralty Inlet and other nearby saltwater areas.

Since they often travel shallow waters as they migrate towards their natal streams, they're available to fly fishers casting from beaches. Silvers, which typically range in weight from 5-15 pounds, can be a blast to catch on a fly rod.

If you have a WA Fishing "Reg" book, take a flip through it and you'll notice that the Dept. of Fish and Wildlife divides the water up into numbered Marine Areas (1-12 I think). Each area has different regulations so you'll want to read the fine print before hitting the salt. Also, you'll need a saltwater fishing license.

Tight lines!

6. billylee

billylee New Member

Media:
    Any of you guys know if there's beach access at Manchester beach?

Thx
    Boatless Bill

7. guest

guest Guest

there is the boat launch and a little park next to it , then there is manchester state park which has a huge shore line its a huge park, im 23 and most my friends fish from shore and i am the only one who fishes these jewels. all in migration paths of returning fish top notch cutt water all year round. 0 pressure. there is a fishing dock next to the boat launch dock i fish there in the mornings before work. floating dock the only pressur there is kids fishing for bullheads when they get home from school. the fishing dock is over a 100 ft long and 2 feet above the water if that. if you got a car the whole shore to gig harbor has more little turn offs and stuff to keep the beach flyflicker happy for days. good luck, Ben