NFR KJR Going Away???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by freestoneangler, Aug 1, 2014.

1. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
  2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Thought I'd see references to Lockwood or at least Charlie & Clyde w/ Debbie Deutsch by now.....btw is no one else bothered that Slayton is off the air again??

4. LCnSac

LCnSac John or "LC"

Home Page:
    Yeah I sure remember KJR ----PITA!:mad:

During the late 60s and early 70s I was in the radio business in Portland, first in sales, later in management and ownership. KJR was clear channel (like our KGW and KXL) and sometimes they'd actually take share from us at night! Top notch rocker. We hated them but always admired their formatting. The second station was a progressive rocker and they didn't bother us, although that one …..didn't work out too well for us :eek: KQIV FM for any old Portlanders.

5. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

No mention of KTAC? That was a Tacoma competitor to the Seattle rock stations with its office in the Tacoma Mall office building. It was kind of cool to go up to their floor and watch the DJ's through the windows.

I also miss KWJZ (Smooth Jazz). I have a sax I always wanted to learn to play and that station was my inspiration. Unfortunately, no associated perspiration. :rolleyes:

Greg Armstrong likes this.
  6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    THREAD DRIFT

So what's a guy to do? Guys who are boomers, that is. It was expected and accepted to put up with the shitty bubble gum rock on KJR or KOL to get a chance to hear the good stuff that was developing in rock music. That kinda' crap is totally unacceptable with all the choices that should be available today. I was totally at home with the Mountain when Marty Reimer and Shawn Stewart influenced its programming, but it shifted 3 or 4 years ago, and then totally flipped to some kind of eclectic disco dip-shit girl music a year or so ago. The airwaves are full of classic rock stations that for some idiotic reason think they have to include the bubble gum genre in their former Top 40 playlist.

While staining the fence this weekend I found myself scanning stations and landed on something called ROXY (I think) in Tumwater that has a playlist much like what the Mountain used to be. Isn't there a market for adult rock and classics any more?

7. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Sorry Salmo, but it is called getting old. Soon you will be listening to the GOLDEN OLDIES.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Olive,

I tuned in a station in 1985 that I kinda' liked . . . until they announced themselves as playing the "golden oldies." Crap!

Olive bugger likes this.
  9. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

10. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Awww... KWJZ - Smoooooth Jazz.
    Yep, I listened to that. In the early '80's they aired a syndicated San Francisco area based early morning "new age space" music program called "Musical Starstreams". It helped set the tone on many a day while driving up into the once lonelier Cascade Mountains and assisted in an improved, quiet zen like approach to success on the chosen stream or mountain lake of the days' choosing.
    I later moved for a time to Marin County, CA where I learned the program was based and referred to as "Marin Hot Tub Music".

11. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I listen to 104.5. It has lots of quality music and they throw in a song from the 90's now and then.

Dipnet likes this.
  12. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    I did hate when "smooth jazz" went away...which really surprised me because I would think Seattle is a primo market for that music. Between that station and KJR, I was set.