Klick report

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Rob Allen, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Brought a wild buck to hand yesterday morning (9/7), after 10 to 15 minutes of swinging. It's been a tough year for me...I'm blaming the fish for figuring out too many angles. Had a good number of takes but very few hookups, gotta be the angles. Had a pig flop at a sparsely tied wet fly 2 tuesdays ago, was using 12# flourocarbon...stole my fly on the take, no more flouroC for me. This is old news to me, the FC stuff, mentioned it because I think it's important, don't use it if you're swinging the Klickitat.

Paul, Jason is missing most of the boaters, he's on land in a car...the boaters are in and out, he misses most of them...actually misses all boaters who take out after 5pm, or is it 4pm?..maybe 3pm?

River's holding fish and vis remains good...though not 4' anymore (as noted by Flyrodney above). It's not a banner year but there are fish for those willing to work for them, cover water and use your water reading skills. Swingers catch fish it they keep swinging and cover water...the more the better.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Not all fluoros are created equally, Rolf! Maybe I'll bring you a spool off the GOOD stuff next time I'm down :)

3. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Evan...lots of FC water under the bridge for me. I'm willing to consider the GOOD stuff but will demand real tests. We can do it, probably take about 30 minutes...but don't demand that I learn any new knots.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

5. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Nice package, this shows 10# line but I won't use anything less than 12# on this river! Maybe 15 or 20 FC if it sinks faster...but I don't think it will because of the larger diameter. We could do a direct test between Maxima clear or ultragreen 12# and your Seaguar. Call it a challenge and we'll see what the facts are.

Thanks for suggesting it Evan!

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Shit, with this stuff, you can swing with 20# and not be too bulky

7. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Please show me. I do want to learn.

8. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Flouros alright, knots are a little more critical though. If comparing brand A to brand B go by diameter not poundage. Brand M is notorious for running oversized to whats on the label.

Klick, congrats on the fishing.. I'm envious.

9. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    AGreed, I have been using the Seaguar flouro in the 15lb for summers. IT is the same diam. as maxima 12lb. at .015". I have hooked and landed multiple fish in clear water conditions and even got one big native hung up on a rock and it did not break me off. I am very impressed with it so far. Ahh hell, wait isn't this suppose to be a klick report?

10. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat's fishing as well or better than should be expected with respect to steelhead and salmon passage over Bonneville. Vis is good and think it will remain so.

This FC stuff should be debated on a previous thread. I'll try to find it and throw something out there.

11. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

FC thread I was thinking about is on speypages. It's a decent discussion with lots of bitching, etc.

12. mmarcus

mmarcus steelhead chaser

Media:
    I switched away from flouro for steelhead years ago because it always seemed like it broke off more fish than I should. It always seemed to me that Maxima always had a bit more stretch to it that would help absorb the pulls. When swinging, I have always erred on the heavier side with tippet. Hasn't seemed to be too much of a problem, especially on the Klick with it having some color to it.

13. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    I did better in July.

A few years ago, I had this half baked idea to try a FC leader tied to my Maxima to try to get more hook ups because the water was so low and clear late in the fall. But that setup broke too many times right at the knot. Tried surgeon's and double uniknots, but lost too many fish. I think hinging at the knot weakens the line after many casts because of the difference in flexibility of the two materials.

14. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Ive had problems swingin flouro since it doesn't stretch and.absorb shock like mono. On a 3 foot piece of.tippet you can put a lot of stress on it with a steelhead bucking around. If you insist on swinging flouro I would jump to 15lb. Having said that I have 3' of 12lb seagar flouro on my sink tip I was using yesterday. But its looped onto 1.5' of 15lb mono (versus my normal 4" butt section of 25lb) which I'm hoping will add a little cushion. So far no issues. My $.02

15. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    Klick sucks. Fish pinks.

16. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    This seems like the right place to mention that I've never broken off a steelhead on 8# Maxima, excepting the Thompson River BC. Steelhead up to 26 pounds, all on 8# Maxima. Did break off the only steelhead I ever hooked on 17# flourocarbon, which I stopped using immediately after that incident.

Sg

17. loganmike

loganmike Member

Why risk such a precious fish with FC? Use maxima, that shit don't break!

Me

18. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    A good friend rolled two fish on skaters recently. Water clarity is good and the run seems to be like it always is. Then again I have only touched one there this year and that was in July. In regards to flouro, who cares, both work and as long as you keep an eye on your leader for damage. This is one of those rivers you sure as hell don't need flouro though.

19. fly dds

fly dds Spey Doc

My friend and I floated it with Travis Wallace (western waters guide service) yesterday. We brought to natives to hand and lost 2. About 2-3 ft of vis. Gorgeous river and well worth it even though it was a little slow. FYI: Travis Wallace is the man on the Klick. Give him a shout and he will put you on the fish.
    His contact: westernwaters@hotmail.com

Kristian

20. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Like I said, I've found Seaguar to be the only exception to this. You definitely pay the extra for it, but it is great stuff.