Klick report

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Rob Allen, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Media:
    Hooking 4 fish in a day on the Klick is NOT "a little slow". That is a GREAT day.

2. ribka

ribka Active Member

x2 on the seaguar fc

3. PT

PT Physhicist

Buy it at Outdoor Emporium if you can. Much cheaper.

I think popping fish off has more to do with the fisherman than it does the line. I used to be in Salmo's boat. Always used Maxima and rarely ever went stronger than 8#. but, 8# UG is equivalent to 12# anything else. Now in the summer I tend to use 10# Seaguar or even 8# and have never had a problem with it. Winter I stick with UG.

One of the things I like is that it doesn't break down as quick as mono when not in use. My spools can last a couple years and still be fresh. And yes, I do understand the environmental aspect of FC.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've used the 8# and 12# extensively, and never had a fish break off that didn't run me in to a log jam or saw me off on a rock. I've been really amazed at how much pressure I can put on the 8# without it breaking. I have a buddy who uses the 20# for nymphing because of it's small diameter, and never had an issue with it being too bulky. Nice to have options.

Granted, for swinging, I don't think it's necessary to use FC. I just use it because it's what I have. Ultragreen is as good or better than anything for swinging.

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    I'll grab some next time I'm down there stocking up on flies to swap!

6. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
    I was trying to glean some information about the Klickatat because I want to take my raft down there this weekend and check it out. Anybody want to throw me a bone and tell me some of the better full day floats for swing water? I don't mean to get in the middle of your riveting monofilament vs. flourocarbon battle, so feel free to PM me any info.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Battle? Was there a battle and I missed it? WTF.

Probably more swing water on the lower river from slide downstream. I like fishing the upper river, but have never floated from Stimson to slide, altho it's floatable, but a longish one.

Sg

8. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    I agree with Salmo, If you float from Stinsons flat to the slide there will be lots of water to cover. Most people floating this section seem to be gear fishing or fishing egg beads under a float while on the move. There are a few nice pieces of swinging water in there, but I would look further downriver or ride a bicycle up the now defunct timber road on the other side of the river from the road and fish the water in reverse (ie working your way upriver) so that you aren't competing with boat traffic.

9. Broderick Smith

Broderick Smith SeaToTree

Media:
    I'm thinking about riding my bike along the timber road that everyone tells me about, have only floated. Can someone PM a suggested access point/directions? Would be much appreciated. Thank you.

10. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    PM sent

11. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    As promised, a few pics of a great day on the Klick. Sorry for the bad quality, they were taken with an old school disposable camera (not mine).

I really need to get out to a river again soon. Starting to feel the withdrawal itch!

12. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
    Went there yesterday. Fished from about 5:30AM till dark. There wasn't hardly a minute where our flies weren't in the water. Got it handed to us. Not one tug nor one fish on the dirty bead rig. Visibility= 6" in the morning increasing to about 16" by mid-afternoon. Only heard of one fish caught by gear angler. Definitely going back because that river is pretty cool.

13. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

cloudy with a chance of mud!!!

14. tiger906

tiger906 New Member

Fished it early yesterday (Sunday) morning. Muddy muddy muddy! Got nothing...

15. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Weather turned and river's 3' plus vis as of 5pm today, sorry you missed it tiger906. Expect dropping and clearing water for the rest of the week. Forecast says sunny and 70's through Friday and 60's and potential rain for the weekend. Tuesday through Saturday should provide good water.
    klickrolf

Update 9/28/11, Wednesday: I got it wrong. Woke up this AM expecting clear water and found significant suspended sediment, vis 1' at best. Upriver water is much better, 2.5'+, must have rained on the mountain yesterday though I assumed freezing levels would have made it snow instead of rain.