KLICKITAT PRESSURE

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Slipstream, May 23, 2014.

1. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

can you imagine the gem the klick could be with deschutes style management? the biggest draw in the state for angler dollars? why doesnt washington want a resource like that?

sopflyfisher likes this.
  2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

No like selfish people who feel it's their job to change the rules of the game just to fulfill their own gratification. Such people should not be allowed to fish. For example, if you are floating down the river fishing as you float and you come to a 300 yard long run with a bankie fishing the top end it is NOT ok for you to float past him and chuck your gear out 50 yards down the run.. If you want to fish the run pull over and wait for the bankie to fish it. then get back in your boat and fish it.. Only a selfish person would cut a bankie off like that and such a person should be banned from the river.

you are not too important to wait your turn..

3. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

because WDFW will not do anything unless you threaten to sue them.

4. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

I was being flip. But I agree with what you are saying, more or less. For the most part, dropping in on a bank bound angler is some pretty weak shit. But it happens and I think it is a weak person who lets it wreck their day.

Why let someone else harsh your mellow?

Look if you want to chase trying to reduce crowds, more power to you. But I still say limiting angler access is not a good plan.

underachiever likes this.
  5. David Dalan

Media:

Every time I hit the D, I have to bring my own rock. And it has a VERY healthy boat hatch, including sleds. So I'm not getting why this is any better?

6. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

simple.. too many people. some people have to be told no.

7. David Dalan

Media:
    You can always set the example for the rest of us by staying home :)

8. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

I already do.. however those of us who have been steelhead fishing these rivers for nearly 40 years shouldn't have to feel pushed out of the rivers we love by newcomers..

sopflyfisher likes this.
  9. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

you know it's not feeling pushed out it's literally pushed out.

10. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Grrrr. Dadgum newcomers! Grrrr.

Luke77, DKL and Derek Young like this.
  11. tkww

tkww Member

Media:
    Anybody know what percentage of anglers are there via guides/guiding services?

12. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

Or you can just wander off a bit form he beaten track and find your own water. Its really not that hard, even on the D in September.

I'm not as worried about the crowds on the Klick, thats a people problem. The Klick is small enough that boats can pound every inch of it, and I do believe something needs to be done to give those fish a break. No boat fishing above Slide(Or even Stinson) would do it. Plenty of great water below there for boaters or disabled people(that was the argument last year when this was proposed). This would probably help the a$$hole factor as people tend to act more civil when they are standing on the same bank.

I have talked to one of the major fly shop owners that runs the river and he too wants to see less traffic, even if that means limited guide permits. Its just too easy for trout guides to come run bobbers and beads, going through each hole 3-4 times. Maybe the new guide license regs will help?

I don't see a kill your limit and quit proposal ever getting any serious momentum. Too divisive. Gear guys still are the majority there and no way they give that up.

Baby steps.

13. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

I would guess roughly 2/3rds are guide boats in prime time. Off season is more like 50-50.

14. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Media:
    Legal fish beware! I'm coming to kill...can't wait! The klick puts out some nice coho in the fall too along with burly kings. ..the ones holding in pools..not the ones on redds:) so many expert Chinook on the fly guys last year..hilarious! I'll be there for the same reason I go every year. .I need not prove I'm veteran or newbie on the river..I'm me..I'm here..and I'm gonna fish!

Irafly and Freestone like this.
  15. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Anybody got a map of good fishing spots on the klickitat,now that the N.fork of the stilly is doomed I need a new river to fish. I've got beads to trade !!

Irafly likes this.
  16. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Rob All
    Um, I gotta pull your card here. You really think you can claim 300 yards of bank on a busy river? That is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Honestly, I have been steelhead fishing for about 20 years and I know enough about biters and takers to not really give a shit if someone in a boat throws their crap in 50 yards below me. I expect that and still catch fish. I catch fish on flies behind roe fishermen and bead fishermen. If the other guy is fishing a black fly I may grab a gear rod and go roe. A roe biter is not a black fly biter is not a bead biter is not a dry fly biter....a lot of the time.

Open your mind, you seem like the one making demands, not the other way around.

sk8r, Luke77, fly dds and 6 others like this.
  17. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

should we now call you the Fish Assassin ?

18. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

It doesn't matter how long a run is it is rude to jump ahead of someone in water you know that they plan to fish and have done the work to get there before you...

the crowded condition of the river is entirely irrelevant.. if you want to fish the run pull over and wait your turn.. that is the way it has always been well until recently..

fact is we are putting more people on our rivers than they can hold it's way past time to do something about it... Now people will point to crowds on rivers back east being way worse.. well that is exactly why we need to act now before they get that way.. better to not let everyone fish than to have even more crowded conditions..

it is better that people become angry because they are not allowed to fish a river than to allow it to become overcrowded by allowing too many people...

19. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

The proposed rule will allow "everyone" a chance to land their legal limit of fish but no more. It's perfectly fair and equitable for all fisherman...fly, gear, bait, bobber...everyone.

If you need to land more than two hatchery steelhead per day maybe the Klickitat isn't the river for you...but then again, you might land 6 wild before you get to 2 hatchery fish!!! How many fish does it take to make a successful day of fishing? It only becomes a limitation once you've experienced "way better than average success". The rule proposal will only limit the very successful angler and only for the day...seems extremely reasonable.

20. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I disagree.

It is better that nobody becomes angry and people accept reality. I used to let crowding ruin my day and than I embraced it and now I could care less.

Most rants on the internet, including mine, are thinly disguised selfishly motivated appeals for more for the ranter. Usually these rants are disguised as requesting help for the fish.

I just want to be able to stand in a river with the hope of catching something. Crowding proves that a lot of people agree with me. And I believe all sport fishermen need to stick together.