Klickitat Question

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by sleestak240, Oct 5, 2013.

1. sleestak240 Member

WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    Well, not to stray too far from the norm, but this isn't a fishing question...sorry!

I was puttering around on the Klickitat trail last night doing some fishing and came across something that struck me as a bit odd. As I was walking along downstream of Wahkiacus just across and upstream from the Ice Plant CG/ramp I picked up a pretty foul smell. Being curious (or just stupid) I looked around and found the source...what appears to be an old capped pipe bubbling up some pretty foul smelling (and looking) water. It's created a pretty good size leach field that is about 50 feet from spilling into the Klickitat. Anyone know anything about it? It's next to the vertical concrete column just upstream from the Ice Plant and on the opposite side of the river from the road. Wondering if it should be reported for analysis?

[IMG]

[IMG]

And, back to the topic...got this nice little hen last night as well! She was trailing about 2 feet of monofilament, which judging by the diameter, would have been strong enough to tow my truck out of a ditch.

[IMG]

And, finally...the gong show at the mouth of the Klickitat this morning. At least 50 boats with everyone staking a claim to their 10 square feet of water. Hard to do it justice in a photo. Quite the scene.

[IMG]
  2. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    There are many artesian wells in the area you are located. The ruddy color and smell is iron and bacteria. There is a form of bacteria that grows where iron is present (old domestic wells that sit, often kick out red, smelly, sometimes gelatinous, water).

Here is a link to an article detailing some of the history...http://www.walkaboutmag.com/19footpaths.html
    Paul Huffman likes this.
  3. sleestak240 Member

WA
    Thanks for the link! That old Ice Factory photo is pretty cool.

It definitely had the "sulfury" smell of mineral springs and I figured a lot of iron content judging by the color. Just got a bit overly excited seeing a big puddle of seemingly potent liquid that close to the river. Good to know that all is well!
  4. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +710 / 2
    Those people out in those boats are having just as much fun as you. They are fishing. Some are helping people get their first ever fish and others are probably fishing with some elderly person who won't get the opportunity many more times. It's fishing. It's different for everybody. I'd rather be in my boat amongst the crowds than trying to get a slice of a run that has been fished over multiple times by multiple people. Give me a run to myself and I'm in a place that is hard to compare. Put my in my boat and I'm still happy because I'm fishing.
    Lex likes this.
  5. sleestak240 Member

WA
    I don't doubt they are...if they weren't they probably wouldn't be mixing it up in there. I'll take the run that has been fished over by a dozen people prior to me though!

I just wonder how the whole operation works...someone hooks a fish that then swims under another boat or tangles 15 lines, or an anchor rope in an attempt to escape. Certainly not my idea of fishing, not criticizing anyone...but gong show does seem to describe what I saw pretty accurately. Of course, they probably drive past me with a cooler full of salmon on their way home, see me standing in the river casting a spey rod and wonder what kind of dumbass would waste his time doing that.
    FT, Paul Huffman and PT like this.