Klickitat Report

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by WT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. WT

WT Member

The weather was great and the fall scenery was awesome. I swung that fly through one great run after another, above town and below. Down and across all day, upstream mend, downstream mend and no mend. No grabs, not a one.
    Guide boats came by more or less on the hour. They were all nymphing with beads but few of them were landing any steelhead. Slim pickins all around it seems.

constructeur likes this.
  2. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Craig, from Red's tell me that swinging with salmon spawning in the river will produce one fish for about every 18 caught on a nymph. I spent Saturday swinging with out any results either.

3. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

True---you will catch more fish on what you fish with the most. However, when I carefully swing through a run and don't touch a fish, and my fishing partner follows me and nymphs only 1/4 of the run and hooks 4 fish, that tells you something about which technique is more effective. Granted, I may not be the best at swinging but still 4 to 0 on one run and about 30 minutes of fishing is a huge difference.

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

It is called the egg bite. It is just like any bug hatch in terms of fish focusng on one thing. The very first day I ever fished a single egg fly I had one of my best days to that point. That was after years of swinging with just a few fish to show for it. But that was before the internet fishing thing where experts are made daily.

5. PT

PT Physhicist

If I spent the same amount of time nymphing as swinging, nymphing would probably end up about 5:1 as far as catching goes. I know that and it's ok with me to continue swinging.

It's a hell of a lot easier to catch a fish with bobber, split shot, and globug than it is to get your fly down, keep it down, and swing it at the proper speed (swinging). Not to open an argument, but split shot will get you down and then all you have to do is control the bobber. You know your stuff is on the bottom and you can feed line right down the seem. Keep adjusting your cast and you can paint the bottom pretty easy with a bobber. Easier to do out of a boat with someone decent on the oars but pretty damn effective if you just want to feel something pulling on your string.

As for the guides and their 18:1 number.... Good for them. They can take a novice client out who doesn't have to do much other than lob a bobber out there. Oarsman can guide it thru the prime water and tell you how and when to mend. Not so easy trying to get clients into fish on the swing because it does take a bit of experience. If I'm nymphing out of a boat I'll give full credit to the oarsman. If I'm swinging with a guide, I'll take at least part of the credit. More to it than that, I know. But, not too far off.

WT, thanks for the report and sorry for the hijack.

6. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    PT, while it may have been a highjack, it's spot on information and I will second it!

7. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    Swing a glo bug as a trailer off a weighted ESL. Egg flies are good swinging flies too. Not pretty, but still swinging.

Just a thought.

8. PT

PT Physhicist

Haven't tried that but may add it to the presentation from time to time.

9. WT

WT Member

I honestly dig threads that dis on guides and eggers.

10. PT

PT Physhicist

Not dis'ing anyone. Just making some observations. Guides I've fished with work pretty damn hard to get clients into fish whether it be gear or fly and have an enjoyable day. Most people just want to hook fish and beading is by far the easiest method to do that.

11. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Dumbest thread post yet.

12. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I spent about 4 hours swinging again on Friday-Saturday. I had one take on the columbia and spent about an hour on the Klick on my way to Portland to see a new grandson, but didn't touch a fish. I too enjoy swinging and am happy to spend more time swinging and catching fewer fish---but sometimes it is nice to actually catch one.

sopflyfisher, PT and David Dalan like this.
  13. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

Yeah, talking FF on the WFF is soooooo 2011. OMG! LOL.....

David Dalan likes this.
  14. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    one can't forget that a lot of the guides are relative novices when it comes to steelhead and some have little to no experience swinging... and we wonder why non-traditional methods get pushed. it isn't entirely about what the clients want. here's a nice article that does a good job of explaining the issue imo.

http://www.anglingtrade.com/2013/10/30/barnwell-responds-to-furimsky-on-daisy-chaining/#more-8655

i remember back in the day what i high bar it was to guide for steelhead. high enough that i never felt like i had enough time on the water compared to the guides i knew and respected. it is now an entirely different game with the internet and non-traditional techniques.

Sean Beauchamp, underachiever and PT like this.
  15. attack

attack Member

hey, there is someone sane on this board! thanks for this!

16. PT

PT Physhicist

Chris, thanks for the link. Hits it on the head as far as I'm concerned.

A friend took a class on how to be a guide many years ago. He ended up guiding on some of the fabled rivers of Montana. I'd always pick his brain, thinking that being a guide meant he knew his shit and would fish according to the conditions. He made it clear to me that in Montana, you never have to fish anything but a dry. That's all he fished and knew almost nothing about nymphing. Dry fly fishing is great, but being able to read what's happening on the water is more important. Adapting to what's going on out there takes experience. I realized really quick that being a guide really didn't mean anything. All it meant was clients stopped asking questions about their guide before booking trips.

I've been on a few guided trips and always ask, before booking, about the guide. I want to know that he knows more about the fishery than me.

JesseC likes this.
  17. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I can't see myself getting a guide any time soon. There is so much gratification when you do it on your own. If I were gonna pay for a guide, it's be fishing gear for tuna or something where I needed the boat.

If I did get a flyfishing guide, and the guide wanted me to nymph, I'd leave....regardless of species.

In steelheading, more could be learned by studying the water a guide put you on and picking his/her brain than by nymphing all day, provided your goal was not to learn how to nymph most efficiently. Having a guide row you into a fish seems closer to being a John than being a player for sure.

Steelheading success is so gratificating because it's something you earn and is a reflection of effort and learnig. The positive reinforcement it gives grows just like positive reinforcement does for a lab.

I've learned a lot from a couple of fellow anglers over the years, mostly just by following them through runs, watching them work and asking what they were looking for. Although I was steeling their positive reinforcement, for sure, I feel like I was earning it too. If for no other reason than I was willing to follow.

Go Sox,
    cds

PT likes this.