Klutina River smoked salmon report

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Mingo, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +377 / 1
    I was invited up for a super quick 2 day trip to help some friends stock their smoker with sockeye on their place on the Klutina River. I told them I don't fish with guts and they said OK.....they know I can toss aside the effete C'n'R mentality to help with some meat hunting when called for....but river sockeye in cloudy glacial till occasionally require one to become a skillful dental technician as we all know.....:rofl:

Late arrival doesn’t stop sockeye camp……battling a salmon at midnight with enough light to see is surreal……

[IMG]

My first of the trip, destined to become sox lox……got any bagels and cream cheese?

[IMG]

Battling another at 12:50 AM………….

[IMG]

#2 on an Axiom 8 wt…..we were pretty burned out, this one was landed at 1 AM…..no sleep, long travel day and a wobbly photographer…..

[IMG]

Jim battling and posing with his first-ever salmon, nice job Jimbo!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Next morning, hungry mosquitoes and another trout-sized sockeye……..hold still for a photo dammit!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I managed to get some arctic grayling out of that cloudy silt on small beadhead pheasant tails…….these guys are meat hunters and had no idea there were grayling in the Klutina. In fact, neither had ever seen one before. This needs further exploration.....................

[IMG]

[IMG]

Mark with another sox destined for the smoker………..

[IMG]

Mark poses while Kollin sets up a 6 wt with a sockeye fly……

[IMG]

Kollin hooked up!

[IMG]

Russ fights and poses with his king caught on guts and clown noses and spin ‘n glos and shit…….

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now the smoker is loaded and I await my first shipment of hardsmoked, softsmoked and fresh sockeye lox. My mouth is watering............good times.
  2. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Nothing wrong with using the old dental technique to load the smoker with reds. Fresh one on a 6 weight can be lightning in a bottle.