knives

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Alex MacDonald, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Got one of those Havalon Piranta scalpel-bladed things for Her Ladyship, just so she'd have something in her pack, but after using it for a few elk-related chores, I got one myself, especially after viewing a youtube video on Havalon's website about this guy field dressing an elk (without gutting it first). He skinned the thing, and parted all the meat out and put it in game bags, all without getting his wrists bloody!! After using mine to separate the sinew off the meat, I'm suitably impressed with the thing. Since the blade is very thin, you can get it into places that a larger hunting knife can't reach, like the socket tendons in an elk hip joint.

Now I'm not saying it replaces my hunting knife by any stretch, but it weighs nothing in my pack, and it's really, REALLY sharp. Plus, when it dulls, the blade is easy to replace with a small multi tool: you don't want to try that with your fingers!

2. Islander

Islander Steve

Just checked them out online. Looks like it might be a great knife for breasting ducks and upland birds also.

3. ribka

ribka Active Member

bought a piranta last year. I field dressed ( gutless method ) skinned and boned out two deer, bear and a big cow elk so far with mine.
    Many goose ducks and quail breasted out thus far.

works well but blades a bit thin and sometimes break easily. However super sharp. I use in conjunction with a 4 inch cold steel carbon fixed blade knife.

4. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    I was thinking the same thing, especially on those really stinky grouse! Much easier than plucking the damn things!

5. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Okay Alex, you & Tom convinced me; I ordered 1 & extra blades. Might be just what the doctor ordered since I abhor abusing my good knives (and knives being like firearms, a guy just can't have too many.). Off in an hour on a canned hunt just to get Hank into some birds . . . been a paltry season, including a bout with walking pneumonia. This "getting older" thing is a freeking blast!

6. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

I have never even seen one-how many blades did you go thru doing all that work?? Have you or anyone you know tried the Barracuda fish filleting knives--looks like a great idea.

7. Guy Gregory

Guy Gregory Active Member

Enjoy it. Sorry, I'll stick to my Kershaw and stones, or to my Cutco. These just don't look right to me, and a thing of beauty is a joy forever.

8. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

a sharp knife is a blessing, a dull knife is a curse.

9. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

Unless it is your ex wife

10. Alex MacDonald

Media:
    Walking pneumonia, Jim? Clearly, you're not drinking enough scotch-gotta keep up those electrolytes!!

11. Jim Ficklin

Much better, Alex . . . and I LIKE the Piranta. While it lacks the classic sophistication of my Damascus blades, it makes-up for that in functionality. I can bone-out meat like a surgeon (AND I still have all fingers intact; this rascal IS sharp!). I did tighten the blade-pivot bolster screw to preclude opening with a thumb flick or unintentionally; I prefer to carefully pry this one open . . . should I need a knife in a hurry when outdoors, I'll just revert to a sheathed blade. Gotta run . . . time to prep for my continuing exorcism of long-tailed ditch chickens.

12. Jim Ficklin

3 exorcisms successfully completed. Hank was a gem, I shot at 5 to get 3 but carried a 28 & the 2 misses were awkward . . . 1 came over me & I couldn't catch-up, the other was "in my face" & I was "phoozled" . . . 2 clean misses. Hank was locked tight & I kicked the cover then received a face-full of Rooster. The Piranta makes removing breasts, thighs/legs effortless (snap the leg between the ankle & drumstick, place the foot in a vice or under a sturdy boot & you can pull the leg tendons out cleanly.). This knife is a good tool. I feel like Ducky on CSI when I'm processing game now . . .