Kona, HI

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by thesankers, Nov 19, 2011.

1. thesankers

thesankers Member

My wife and myself got home last night from 17 days in Hawaii. This was not a fishing trip. We snorkeled, dolphin watched, toured arboretums and generally relaxed. I did get out and go fishing on the last day. I rented a kayak at the Kona harbor and alternately trolled and cast/stripped along the rocky shore line North of the harbor at the drop off.
    I fished for 4 1/2 hours and caught 4 blue trevally to about 3 pounds, 3 reddish copper colored fish that looked a little like a snapper or bass- these ran 1 1/2 to 2 pounds or so , and numerous needlefish up to about 2 1/2 feet long. Lost one fish which seemed much bigger when it dove into the coral and cut the the leader. Used a Teeny line with a heavy 30 foot head and a floating running line and this seemed to work well. Fished 1/0 blue/white and green/white deceivers. The needlefish hit hard but give up quickly, but even a 2 pound trevally will bend an 8 weight to cork and keep it there for quite a while. They are extremely strong. I highly recommend this if you are over there and have any free time. Kayak rental is reasonable ($45/day), the ocean is usually fairly calm at Kona and I found myself in the middle of a pod of Spinner Dolphins several times. No special saltwater fishing knowledge seems to be needed, or I wouldn't have had any success. An 8 weight rods seems to be about right, although the possibility of much bigger Trevally exists, and then you would probably be overmatched with an eight weight. Towards the end of my day I found that my cameras battery compartment had opened in the bottom of the boat and the camera and SD card are ruined. I have been trying to reclaim the card and the pictures and will post some pictures if I can get it to work.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Sounds like you did pretty well for you 4 1/2 hours. I just now asked the forum for some advice on fishing Maui, but It sounds like I'm on the right track. I plan on bringing my 8wt and some general clousers and deceivers. I don't have a sinking line but will try my Rio sinking leader. How far down were you getting you fly?

3. thesankers

thesankers Member

Anywhere form 10 to 30 feet depending on how fast
    I was retrieving or trolling and how long I let the fly sink. I understand that there are bonfish somewhere on Maui.

4. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

Media:
    Nothing better than that BLUE water! Last trip I caught fish with a throw net, spear gun, and fly rod. Great time