Kona: Mingo's aquarium volume 5

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Mingo, Jan 6, 2010.

1. You are correct about only one thing.....you don't get it. This is most definitely not the same as fishing in a koi pond. These are wild reef fish, they have been a major part of Polynesian culture and diet for millennia and they have unique habits that require special tactics if one wants to tangle with them on a flyrod. Don't base your stupid assertion on a couple snorkeling trips you may have taken around fish habitualized to tourists feeding them frozen peas (which is highly frowned upon by biologists, has been illegal for several years and only involves a few species that will eat peas in the first place). Go to a remote reef away from tourists polluting the water with sunscreen. Tell you what.....you go over there, flyfish a reef and then post your own report. Let's see how you do. It's not as easy as my reports might make it look...it takes a good while to study these unique species and then develop the techniques that work. Your comments only show that you are arrogant, ignorant and a judgmental jerk. Good luck catching ahi, omilu, paki'i, po'opa'a, hinalea, weke, moano, weke ula, kaku, ta'ape, wahanui, roi, hou, awela, moi or a multitude of other reef ambush predators on "frozen pea flies"....but please, go ahead, tie up a frozen pea fly. Let's see your report.

You don't need to "get it". It is my trip. My fun. My report. You are free to "not get it" your whole life. That won't stop me or the thousands of Hawaiians who enjoy chasing all sorts of various reef species from having fun.

2. Thanks Kev and you other dudes for the nice words..........another report coming soon with some new species added a few days ago!!!! heh heh........... :)

3. I wish to be Mingo in THIS life! I love this report. What a blast.

4. How does he do it? Regardless of tactics and/or whether fish are too easy to catch or not, I want to know how everytime I see a report in here, it has your 'oh' face behind some tropical fish. Are you a pirate? How do you afford the time and availability to fly to paradise every two months and catch fish with a buzz?

5. Nice fish!Brother

Don't know how could I miss this thread... well done...
    beautiful Jack....maybe I should paint some of those fish : )