Korkers chrome or simms g4 wading boot?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by hernluis, Nov 30, 2011.

1. hernluis

hernluis Member

So I got both as gifts but which should I keep. I want something that is durable and wont need replacing for a while. What do you guys think.

2. Breck

Breck Active Member

I can only speak from experience when it comes to Korkers. I've owned 2 pairs of Korkers over the last 10 years. I can testify to the fact that are very well made and comfortable. Their customer service is excellent as well. I fish pretty hard and my current pair of Korkers still look new, after 4 years.

3. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    korkers

4. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Simms G4's are a great boot. Wore them everyday for 120 days in the field this summer and they look good still. Sole is worn, but thats a good amount of time on a pair of boots. I have seen the new korkers and there wouldn't be much left of them after that kind of beating. Buddy had a pair start blowing up after 2 weeks.

5. Mike T

Mike T Active Member

I have two friends whose Korkers had problems with the sleeves that the BOA "laces" run through. The sleeves come loose and they ask you to send them in for warranty work. I'd go with Simms.

6. EHB86

EHB86 Member

I've had great luck with the Korkers and I do like being able to add or remove stud soles, rubber, etc. at times. You can still get a version with laces if you don't like the BOA system. I've had no problems with the BOA and like it.

7. Spencer Woods

Spencer Woods Member

Media:
    I don't know much about the Korkers Chromes other than a buddy of mine said after a month of fishing the inner changeable soles quit sticking.............. but I can tell you the SIMMS G4 boot is a fricken clod-hopper! HUGE and heavy! Next time you're in a shop- hold the bottoms together of a G4 boot and any
    other Simms boot like the Rivershed, Guide Boot, BOA, etc. A size 10 G4 is bigger than a size 12 of any other boot. I sold mine after once season of wear.
    They served their purpose, were comfortable, etc............... but it felt like I was wearing scuba fins with downrigger balls on them! They also fade out super
    quick! Hell no to the G4! Just my opinion. If you can take them back............ I would seriously consider the SIMMS Rivershed or BOA boot. Very comfy, fitting, athletic and light!

8. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    you resole korkers on your own so that's nice, the G4s are tanks but will need to be resoled on occasion. I got the simms boa and like em way better than the G4s

9. jaybo41

jaybo41 Member

Korkers has a solid following but I am sold on Simms boots. The ability to change soles, while somewhat appealing is just one more thing that will break. I am hard on boots and fished the heck out of the Generation 1 Riversheds. They are still in working order but I've retired them for the latest version. Comfortable, don't hold as much water weight as some boots do and rock solid. You may want to look at the Guide series or even the Freestones. Those things are bombproof. Simms also has a BOA system if you want that. I prefer laces. The star cleats give me superb traction. Expensive but worth it. Then again there are three contact points per stud.

I have heard first hand and also read people having problems with the Chromes. If you go korkers, check out the latest iteration, apparently this has been addressed. With that said, people say Korkers has great customer service and will take care of you. Then again so Simms will too.

Good luck, let us know what you go with.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sell both and get some Simms Rirversheds!

11. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    +1 for Korkers. Lightweight and easy to get on and off with frozen fingers. Can't say the same for laced boots.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Chrome. The thin soles may not last as long, but you can easily replace them at a very nice price. Boa lacing systems are way better than laces in all but the grittiest of conditions.

13. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Korkers. I've had no problems with the BOA system and love the interchangeable soles.

14. fly dds

fly dds Spey Doc

I have both and like em both. Edge to the Korkers cuz of the studded felt and they are a bit roomier.

15. hernluis

hernluis Member

what if i sell both and buy ll bean wading boots? awesome warranty and good reviews.

16. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

What size & model Korkers, if you're looking to sell?

17. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    Keep `em both, that way you have a backup.

18. davpot

davpot davpot

Home Page:
    Boy am I glad to hear all this Good Feedback on Korkers, cause I have Fasciaitis in my left foot (Dont go there!) And Korkers are the ONLY boot Ive found that are SO COMFORTABLE itsnot a problem! Im Sold on em for sure! Be nice to your feet....or else!! Those Korker folks are doing something Right!
    Dave

19. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

i am looking at the metalhead korker which is about $140 and lighter than the chrome. i like the whole bottom deal. now what do i do with my old korkers? mike w

20. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    Simms....... yep, Simms!