Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

LA REDFISH

NFR 
2K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  freestoneangler 
#1 ·
A few photos from my redfish trip (Dec 8-13) to Port Sulphur, LA with my buddy Vernon and Capt. Rich Waldner. We hit it right with 6 days of great, SUNNY weather. We caught over 30 redfish including 15 over 20#. All were caught sight fishing with most fish in less than a foot of water. It was my best redfish trip ever and I am already looking forward to next year.

32#

31#

See less See more
#11 ·
Very nice redfish! Those are all on the plus side for sure. You were smart to take several days to fish for them. I did it once a year ago and my single day went by very fast, it was so intense.
The delta area where the big LA reds live is vast. A reliable flats boat and a GPS are essential.

#15 ·
I've fished with Rich a number of times and there's not a harder working, knowable guide in La. He's also a great guy, a retired Marine, and absolutely loves to fish. He knows the Burus/ Port Sulfur ares better than any guides in the area and what I really like is that he gets just as excited when a fish is spotted as you do. Rick Heim

#16 ·
Very cool photos! Looks like you had a banner day.

I have a few images on my screensaver of the fish I caught pre Katrina... always wondered how these fish faired following that huge event... and then the oil spill following that... question answered. The only large bull I caught my guide estimated at just under 30#. Most were in the 8-15# size. It was really fun sneaking into the shallow (like open bowls in the grass) and seeing schools chase shrimp into the banks. I definitely could do that trip a few more times. Those along with the handful of speckled trout made for a memorable day.

I'll also never forget the ice cold beers at a hole in the wall, broke down watering hole at the dock. Beers were pulled from a vintage cooler that had a distinctive squeak every time the lid was opened. I still think those were some of the best beers I ever had.

Thanks for providing the guides name... someone I will definitely consider should I get another opportunity.

#17 ·
I'm going to New Orleans for the first time in April, so this thread caught my eye. I'd like to go fishing for a couple days, but $600/day is beyond my comfort level compared to all the other places I've hired a guide with a boat. Is this typical for the Gulf? Guides most everywhere else are $400 - $450/day.

#19 ·
I'm going to New Orleans for the first time in April, so this thread caught my eye. I'd like to go fishing for a couple days, but $600/day is beyond my comfort level compared to all the other places I've hired a guide with a boat. Is this typical for the Gulf? Guides most everywhere else are $400 - $450/day.
Going 20 miles in any boat with an engine is probably where the extra $$$ is tacked on.

#20 ·
Just spend the money. Believe me, you won't regret it. This fishery is a blast... one of my favorite trips so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.