lab breeder

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by cj6530, Sep 3, 2008.

1. cj6530 Member

Bellevue WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Can anyone recommend a quality hunting lab breeder in WA. I am in Seattle but will travel anywhere in a one day drive.
  2. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    what kind of dog do you want? (temperment wise?)
  3. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +31 / 0
  4. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +452 / 1
    Kingsland Labs in Puyallup produces very good Labs if you like the chocolate flavor.
    Teresa Meredith is a very responsible breeder; her dogs are very sound in both conformation and temperament. She has several females from which to choose a litter, giving you a variety of dispositions. My dog Eddie is very laid back and easy to live with, but he's as birdy as they come in the field.

http://kingslandlabradors.com/
  5. seekm chris

edmonds
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    I've got two pups from Tiger Mountain and I couldn't be happier. In the field there isn't any quit in them and at home both are great with our 2 yr old boy and 6 mo. old daughter.
  6. cj6530 Member

Bellevue WA
    thanks for your help so far. I am looking for a family dog which is a good flusher and duck dog. I have a great flushing and duck lab right now but he is getting a little on the older side. I am new to WA so I do not have any experience with the local breeders. Do the pointing labs also make great flushers and duck dogs? To be honest I have no interest in training a pointing dog as I really enjoy flushing labs. Also, I am not looking for a "hot" trials dog either.
  7. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +151 / 0
    Sara Smith in Pomeroy is where we picked up Murphy, our yellow...smart dog
  8. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Bayview kennels outside Mt Vernon is where we have got 2 of our dogs. Loved them both. I hate the long skinny and hopped up field trial dogs myself.
  9. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    As I understand it, pointing Labs just happen to have picked up that trait somewhere along the way, but they are, as Labs tend to be (unless bred for the wrong reasons), natural flushers and waterfowl retrievers. Some breeders breed for the pointing trait. My dog is a half generation removed from an actual pointing lab, but he got the gene. I talked to the breeder about it, and his aunt points like an upland dog. I haven't worked with him to further the pointing, but he locks up when he catches the scent of something. Then he goes after it. You're not new to Labs, so saying this is pretty much rhetorical: You want a dog to hunt for you, and not for himself. Get a dog with a temperament that is calm so he's tuned in to you, and a good family pet. If he's birdy, he'll show that at 6-7 weeks (but birdy doesn't mean "hot"). If the breeder is producing hunting dogs, they should have live pigeons on hand so you can test the pups. Ask if they do before you go see them. PM me if you want more info on the breeder I mentioned earlier.
  10. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Itchy, is your dogs grandfather Rascal?

If I get a lab for my next dog, I'm going to get puppy out of Jazztime Last Chance v Pekisko who is out of that same Jazztime line as Rascal. It seems like dogs from Jazztime breedings always produce balanced good natured dogs with lots of hunt.

In terms of chocolate labs, it would be hard to find a kennel with better dogs than Kingsland. It's great to see that they put all the health clearance information on their site.
  11. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Itchy,

Libby does the same...except for the pulled up leg. Pretty easy to tell when she is birdy...her tail goes from wagging to straight up twirling...then her tail will be either straight or continue to twirl...head nod...3-5 seconds later pounce.

The few times I've thought about commanding her to sit and so that I have time to either get ready or move in clower, however, I figure why ruin a good chance at bird and possibly the dogs mind!
  12. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Kaari,

I don't see Rascal in the pedigree. My dog's maternal grandfather was a dog out of Kingsland by the name of Chocolate Chip. On his sire's side the grandfather was FC Nan-Dool Elwood Blues. The only "big name" in his lineage that I recognize is Pachanga Magnum Force, who factors in on both sides of the family. That's not surprising as he was a highly sought stud dog given his titles and accomplishments.

I wish I'd had my current dog years ago when I did more hunting. I don't get him out near as much as he'd like. Luckily he's pretty content just hanging out and chasing a training bumper in the back yard, although when the gun comes out he's itchin' to go.
  13. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Andrew,
    At least she signals when she's on a bird. When you see that, you just gotta get there fast.
    Run to keep up with her- she'll get you in the best shape of your life! :D
  14. YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Las Vegas
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    I'm looking for and English Lab, might anyone have any suggestions? I had one ready to go out of Bellingham, but the litter didn't produce any yellow females...
  15. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Since you're looking for an English Lab, maybe you can clear up some confusion. I've heard the term "English" before, but I've heard conflicting definitions. One definition states that English dogs are field bred, whereas American Labs are show bred. The other definition states that English dogs are for show (shorter, blockier/stockier) whereas American dogs are field bred (taller and lankier). I always assumed that the way to differentiate between the two is that an English dog has an accent. You might check out this site on your quest for a pup (they have a breeder listing):

http://www.pslra.org/
  16. Kaari White Active Member

Seattle, WA
    I'll give you the quick and dirty...

English field bred dogs look very similar to our field dogs although usually they do have a little more "type" than our field dogs. English bred conformation dogs look like our conformation dogs, although generally less porky with more field ability than our dogs. It is not accurate to call any lab with heavy bone/otter tail/short legs "english."

The imports that we generally see are of the field variety. They can be great hunters and pets. Generally they have less fire than american field bred dogs, but that's huge generalization.

The real story with english labs is that there's not much of a difference between them and American labs. The marketing around imported UK labs is incredible. Advertised as the "gentleman's gundog" with classic looks and a mellower temperament, you'd think they were really special dogs. In truth, they're just as likely to be wild as teenagers and any "american" lab and their abilities are not likely to be any more exceptional in the field than any other lab.
  17. cj6530 Member

Bellevue WA
    thanks for all your help everyone. I ended up having a long talk with Tiger Mountain Labs. The owner of that outfit was great....very professional and really gave me a good feeling. I am going to put a deposit down for a yellow pup. I currently have a male, does anyone have any reason why I should wait to get a female pup (longer wait list)? I guess smaller size would be a plus.
  18. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    I'll just share my story with you for what it's worth. We had a female. Loved her. She was sweet as can be, gentle, calm inside, and a great retriever. She was 60 lbs soaking wet in her prime. When I spoke to the breeder I wanted a female pup. We would have been 4th on the list to choose a female, but 2nd for a male. She asked me why we wanted a female, and I gave her all the reasons listed above. Then she said, "You're looking for a specific temperament- which sex does not guarantee." Then she pointed out that we could choose a male pup 2nd, giving us a much better selection than if we chose 4th for a female. Valid point. When we visited the pups at 6wks, we fell for this one particular male. We looked over the females, too, just for comparison, but this one little guy had us. At 7 weeks when we went back to select and pick our pup, we got the guy we wanted. He's everything we'd hoped he would be. Just a little bigger than I would have wanted. At 27 inches and 91 lbs, he's a load. Much bigger than his parents, which we couldn't have known would happen, he just got big. More to love. The breeder also told me something I hadn't thought of before. Males are like (most) men- you pretty much know what you've got, day in and day out. Females are like (most) women. They can be moody. Remember, this was coming from a woman. So I'd just recommend you choose based on temperament, and if it comes in a male, or a female, no worries. Get the highest order on a chosing list you can.
  19. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I picked up our female chocolate 4 weeks ago today in Oregon. The breeder was in business for 15yr. She was getting divorced and had two litters (15 pups) all chocolates. We wanted a female that we hoped would grow to 75lbs. Her grandfather and Grandmother were "pointers". Her mother was 60-65lbs and dad was about 95lbs and "blocky". Bella is a great pup, she has some serious spunk. One of our neighbors has an older GSH behind an invisible fence. She will growl and bark at the GSH, like I've never seen a pup do. I haven't hunted in years but wouldn't minds getting back into the game and this girl has the never give up I want.

When we were picking her our we wanted a family dog. You can't go wrong with a lab.
  20. North Sounder New Member

Hansville, Wa
    You wont be sorry you went with Tiger Mountain, John is a great guy. My brother and I each have a dog from there and couldn't be happier.
    I also had an older lab and wanted to bring another dog into the family before it was time for Sabe to retire from hunting and I think the young dog (Storm) benifitted greatly by having an older mentor.
    You mentioned that you were new to the area. You might want to check out the Puget Sound Labrador retriever association if you haven't already. I just noticed on thier web site that they are hosting thier fall hunt test this weekend at Bob Peppers farm. My wife and I joined this club when we got Sabe back in the mid 90's and learned a great deal by training with the other folks in the club and running Sabe in many of the hunt test that are held around the PNW.
    Enjoy the new pup.
    Tom