Labor Day Backpacking....w/ a 17 month old, suggestions???

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by deansie, Aug 29, 2011.

1. deansie Member

seattle
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Last minute trip planned with my wife and son, looking for suggestions. We're new to Seattle and haven't had much time to research trips. Ultimately, would prefer a spot that's either along a creek or up to a lake, dogs are ok (no national parks), about 3 miles max and not too much of a gong show w/ crowds. I know that's asking a lot, especially for Labor Day weekend, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Would prefer a spot to throw some dries to some trout but fishing isn't the main attraction, just want to do some exploring with the family.
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,608 / 0
    If you're new to the area, you owe yourself a drive over the North Cascades highway. Check out Cutthroat Lake - it's behind you if you drive over Cutthroat Creek. It's a short 2 or 3 mile hike, mostly used by day hikers, but you could backpack to it, given your situation. The general location is stunningly beautiful, the trout numerous, smallish, and typically willing. Look up toward Cutthroat Pass. The trail up there is part of the Pacific Crest Trail. Vow to return when your son is old enough to walk on his own with you. You won't regret either trip.

Sg
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Sg, I've just added this one to my trip plans with my girls. I'm sure they are up for it.

I was going to recommend the Staircase area, could be over crowded on the long weekend though.