Labrador Ear Infections

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Pat Jenkins, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Any lab owners out there have a secret trick for treating & preventing ear infections? I have a 5.5 year old, female yellow lab who, despite our efforts (drying after swimming & fishing, ear wash and antibiotics, changed kibble on multiple occassions, etc) continues to get raging ear infections. At first it was one ear, now it's both. It' been like this for at least 3 or 4 years of her life. I've been around dogs and raised them (mostly sled dogs) my entire life and nothing has made me feel like a terrible owner quite like these infections. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    View attachment 44252

2. this is great. thanks.

3. Have your dog checked out for diabetes. Ours had chronic infections until we found out she was diabetic and got it under control.

4. I'd look into food allergies. Our last dog had chronic ear issues and we tried all kinds of stuff. It wasn't until we met up with a specific vet that it was suggested to change her food. I was told it can take some time to find the right food (if that's the issue) but we got very lucky on the first try. She was about the same age as yours when we discovered it and she never had an issue again. For what it's worth we fed her Natural Balance Duck and Potato and never anything else.

5. In the food allergy department check for Corn in the feed. One of the most likely culprits. My dog had constant yeast infections in the ear. The only thing that stopped it was regular, as in twice a week ear cleaning. Every week didn't work. Twice a week keeps it under control perfectly.