Lake 16

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, May 2, 2003.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

I had such a good day fishing today and I'd like to share with all of you. Went to Lake 16 today for to see what I could catch. And catch I did. Started out with a woolybugger,one hit. Switched to a Crackleback(Found this fly in the patterns page)one hit. Changed to a dry March Brown look a like and had a ball. I fished on top all day and caught about 12 fish and had more hits that ever before. They were fun to catch and throw back. Most were tripleloids but who wants to take pictures of fish with rounded off tails. I guess it will have to do until I can get to some skinny water and get a fix. I didn't anchor I just drifted with the wind what there was of it.

Jim

2. wet line

wet line New Member

See what the rewards are when you are NICE. Great you had a good day!
    Dave

3. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I thought that I would bring this up again. Went again today(it's close to home.Under 30 miles).Had a few hits right off the bat and then it slowed down. Lost my last fly to a trout and after that nothing. Couldn't raise anything on a dry the rest of the time I was there. But I did meet another WWF member there, "dlw" is his handle.. Another young kid in a Southfork. I'm gonna have to make that trip down to Outdoor Emporium for some more of those good flies as nobody seems to have any. Tried a humpy but no avail.

Jim

4. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    Where exactly is Lake 16?

5. dlw

dlw New Member

Old Man,
    Thanks for the tip on using dries. I was a little stubborn at first and stuck with a chiro under an indicator until they started hitting the indicator. Then I switched to a #14 yellow humpy and the action was non stop for about a half an hour or so. Their were fish all over, and then they just seemed to dissapear. The rest of the day was somewhat slow, but I was able to bring a few more to hand with a bh pheasant tail under an indicator. I've never had any regular success with dries on lakes before though usually because I never feel confident with them. I'll have to do it more often I guess.

6. aaron j

aaron j Member

Media:
    Hey Old Man,
    It's good to finally hear some success in your posts. I was starting to feel sorry for you, but then I realized that you were spending way more time out in the great outdoors than I was, and envy overcame pity. I think you catch more fish than you let on anyway...keep it up!
    aaron j:thumb

7. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Try fishing along the edges of the weeds,lillypads and around any logs under the surface and you might hook a pleasant surprise!

8. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Just down the road from Lake 15...
    :+ :+ :+ :+ :+

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

Well If you don't know where it is maybe this will help. Head north on I-5 to Skagit Co.,take the Conway exit 221. Take a right and go up the hill and over about a mile to a mile and a half. You will come to a +. Take the left it is a hard left this is the Lake 16 road(the road to the right is English rd). It goes up a hill so if you don't go up a hill you are on the wrong road. Just follow it and it will take you to the boat launch. It is a big area,room for lots of rigs.

I found this lake by just looking for other places to fish. Found it by mistake. Been happy ever since. Been fishing it for about 10 years now and have caught fish every time out. There are Bows that they plant and cutts that they don't. Cutts can get good sized not trophy size but can make you happy.

Hope this helps all of you that want to find a new place to fish.

Jim