Lake Adwell

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dskiff, May 21, 2002.

1. dskiff

dskiff New Member

Hello, I'm new to Port Angeles. I've been fishing the lakes over here a little. I've spent about 12 hours total on Aldwell, mostly fighting the wind. C+R'd a couple 9" Rainbows. I realize Aldwell is no longer stocked, but are there still fish there in decent numbers (I'm not sure what that means)? If so, any tips on fishing there?

2. fly15

fly15 New Member

One of the best trout fisheries in western washington is right out your back door, the Upper Elwha river above the second lake. The upper Elwha is really good for summer time (june,july,august) rainbows from 8" to 18" inches long and the occasional large bull trout make sure and be carefull and release these fish if you catch one.

If I were you I would stock up on caddis flies and hike the trail above the second lake starting next month.There are trout from the start of the trail but it gets better the further you hike.If I lived in P.A. I would explore the upper Elwha this summer it is really pretty and great fishing. :THUMBSUP

"LOVE'M AND LEAVE'M" C&R

fly15

3. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

You should also fish between the lakes with dries beginning June 1. Even outside the park the fishing is good from the 101 bridge up to the park boundary. I've had 24 plush fish days on the Elwha just using a size 14 Renegade dry (fish between 7 and 12 inches.

I have also hiked as far as 21 or 22 miles up the upper Elwha and have great fishing for rainbows to 16 inches with most about 10". Well worth the hike, especially in September after the crowds are gone.

Randy

4. dskiff

dskiff New Member

Thanks for the info on the Elwah. I fished it once last September. About 1/2 mile above Devil's Punch Bowl (or something like that). It was a part of the river acessed from the Gyser Valley trail. I C+R'd a nice 12" Rainbow. I definitely will get back on the Elwah, including the lower parts that lie outside the Park.

I'm going to have to get up the gumption to hike in to the upper portions. I'm not to speedy of a hiker so I thought I'd probably need to do an overnight trip. I understand that once you leave the geyser Valley area, you need to go upriver at least 10 miles to be able to acess the river.

Thanks again

5. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

As for Adwell I fished it a little years ago. Never waz much good on flies. If I were you I'd give up that fantasy and concentrate on Lake
    Sutherland.....a very pretty,clean,and fishy lake.

6. ltlcleo

ltlcleo New Member

The mouth of the creak draining the hot springs can be a surprise this time of year.