Lake Alice lily pads

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Lostcreeker, Jul 8, 2013.

1. The Lake Alice lily pads have disappeared. Does anyone know how they were removed? Must have been done with a chemical like glyphosphate but just curious. That lake had a lot of lily pads.

2. If you look at the historical imagery on Google Earth you can see that only the photos taken in July and August of each year had lily pads. There is a May image that does not have anything. I think that they just have not grown up yet. I fished it about two weeks ago and there was plenty of vegetation underwater so it still may be growing to the surface. Not sure if it is the correct answer but one possible explanation.

3. I was thinking the same thing as Nicolas. It seems like they would be up by now, but maybe just in the shallower water.

4. The HOA has been working toward "weed removal" for a couple years at least so I would guess that they finally did some work to that end.

5. I fished Lake Alice about 5 weeks ago and lily pads had started to show especially at the far shallow end so they've definitely been "removed".

6. While there are certainly some aquatic 'weeds' that can be deleterious to lakes, I wouldn't put water lilies in that category. It would be a shame if they are removing them to 'improve' the lake. Is Lake Alice entirely private?
    D

7. No.

8. Here's a link to King County's info on Lake Alice...looks like the lilies are non-native. Also, there is a public boat launch in the SE corner of the lake.

https://your.kingcounty.gov/dnrp/wlr/water-resources/small-lakes/data/LakePage.aspx?SiteID=1