Lake Britton?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Teenage Entomologist, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Ratings: +216 / 0
    I'm planning a trip to Lake Britton, CA, and doing a hike along the Pit River. Anyone had any personal experience fly fishing Britton and/or the Pit River? I heard the Smallmouth fishing in Britton is good, and also Crappie. Any recommended flies? Thanks for any help, Kaden.
  2. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +369 / 0
    Lake britton has the bridge from "Stand by me" so that's pretty sweet. One August morning I saw a bunch of trout rising for mayflies along the shore. I never wet a line there though.

However, I have done the Pit, and I'll be heading there in a week. If you don't bring a wading staff you're an idiot. There is a lot of good access to pit 3. If you are coming from Burney, I wouldn't even bother with 4 and 5 because you'll just be driving past good water with good access.

I didn't have a whole lot of success, but 110° august weather isn't ideal. You're going to want heavily weighted flies or a bunch split shot. And bring A LOT of flies. I lost 4 flies in my first two drifts when I was there.
    Teenage Entomologist likes this.