Lake Chinook?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jeff Dodd, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I just watched an episode of NW Wild country where they interviewed a guide from Coeur d'alene who talked about the gear fishery for lake Chinook. These fish were put in the lake to control Kokanee populations. They mentioned that this time of year the fish are UP in the water column, like from the surface to 30' deep.

I've seen a couple. Chinook come out of Chelan, about 5pounds each, but the guide said the derby winner last year was 25 pounds and this time of year you will see fish in the 7 - 12 pound range.

Anyone target these fish on the fly? How fun to tie up kokanee pattern and hunt Chinook in the lake! What iss your experience?

2. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    CDA, like Chelan, are massive bodies of water. The only time we've caught them is on downriggers with squid patterns. My guess is that it would be a hell of a quest, but not something that would be easy at all

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  3. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Jeff,

What is your take on their thinking to "control" the kokanee population? Are they looking for less kokanee so they get bigger? is there a lack of feed issue behind this thinking? Kind of curious what you know about the why.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    JMills - I agree that most fish come off the downrigger but I also suspect people dont target them in the shallows. The last Chinook i saw taken in chelan, the guy was trolling a 3" buzz bomb, long lining it haha. The Chinook was in mill bay feeding in the shallows.

Matt as for kokanee controll, I don't know exactly what the meant. They mentioned that kokanee in CdA don't get big, they stay bait size and top out around 10". They also mentioned Hayden Lk, ID as having the largest Kokanee, up to 20"

I love to fish Chinook in the Sound and the idea of picking one up in the lake, sounds fun. Maybe not worth a drive from Whidbey unless I combined it with some of the other fisheries in the area. If I lived in Spokane, I would be very interested!

5. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

OK, with the fact that kokanee are different sizes in different bodies of water, it obviously must be a feed based issue. I can understand introducing chinook to keep a no more than 10" kokanee population in check. Might as well have a chinook fishery versus a 10" kokanee fishery. Thanks Jeff, that helped.

6. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I think Mark Kraniger has targeted chinook in stillwaters down south, but I believe that these fish are more concentrated and he is able to target them a little more specifically... But it may be worth shooting him a PM.

Kings on the fly in a lake would be awesome! I've got a 10 wt and a boat, so as soon as you get it dialed in you just let me know and I'll head on over! :cool:

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:

This is a false idea of a stillwater though, because it is essentially connected to the Columbia and the fish come into rest. Not a landlocked lake.

8. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    [quote="Irafly, post: 927934, member: 1046"Not a landlocked lake.[/quote]

Imagine the indicator disappears, you set the hook and it's a 15 pound Chinook!!

9. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I've caught two out of Rufus fly fishing from shore both times in semi shallow water. Both as bycatch while trout fishing. The bigger of the two was only about five pounds.
    They have been putting them in banks lake for a couple years now. I'm wondering what the fishery is going to be like in coming years

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  10. P-FITZ98

P-FITZ98 Member

I have caught 2 in Roosevelt and hooked others there, one about 2 months ago.That one broke my six lb.tippet at the boat. All hit large streamers trolled on leadcore.( Go ahead and give me the douchebag treatment for trolling leadcore on huge water,I really dont giveafuck, how many 'nooks have you caught there?) All were anywhere from 6-8 lbs. in Jan-Feb cold ass water.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

isn't this the standard control method in a number of large lakes in PNW. like Arrow lake in B.C. and Pend Oreille lake ? i think most of the others have had lake trout used. it seems the "control" is probably an excuse to have a big fish draw to such large lakes.

12. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    Both Chinook I've caught in Rufus(confirmed trickle-down from Lake CDA) passed through Lake Roosevelt first, so I believe that.
    The first one, about a nineteen incher, went belly up when I tried to release it. After futile attempts to "revive" it, I took it home for dinner. It tasted like garbage, and was fed to the dogs.
    After the first one I consulted local fish bios. Surprisingly, they had found one washed up dead on shore(theirs was fifteen pounds), less than a mile from where I caught mine, only a week before. They requested if I happened to catch another, to bring it over for study.
    A few months go by, and I happen into another one. I'm throwing small(size eight) bugger type "flies" from shore. The five pounder I give to the bios. These Chinook are passing through, or over seven dams before reaching me. The unpleasant way, downstream without ladders. No wonder the first one rolled over and died after a minimum fight.
    I hadn't encountered another until this fall on Rufus. I was sitting up on a hill, intently scanning the water for a brown to magically appear. A Chinook around ten pounds lazily finned into view. I scrambled down and had two legit casts at him, but no go.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  13. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member