Lake Chopaka

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by m.albrecht@comcast.net, May 7, 2013.

1. m.albrecht@comcast.net Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I am planning to spend the weekend up at Lake Chopaka. Unfortunately I need to leave work late on Thursday so I won't be going up the hill until after it is dark. How is the road going up this year? Is it the typical grind up to the lake? Also how is the fishing?
    Thank you in advance for the information.
    Mike
  2. Caveman Member

N/A
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Take the second right when you get up top. Gonna be there next week.
  3. m.albrecht@comcast.net Member

Maple Valley, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Thanks Caveman. Yep I know how to get there just wondering the shape of the road. One year I went up there and a section was washed out. Tough to back-up with a trailer!
  4. P-FITZ98 Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    we are leaving Friday to go up there....Hope it wont be too crowded
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,030 / 1
    I'll take a weather condition report from someone's trip. Temps and weed growth would be appreciated.
  6. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    You might talk to the guys at the Big R fly shop in Omak , they seem to
    Be in the know !
    Kelly Michelsen
  7. Caveman Member

N/A
    i was told today the lake is 61 to 65 degrees. Its been in the 80's all week up there...
  8. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +239 / 0
    Surface water temperature was 67 degrees when I left on Sunday.

They are logging the state forest along the road. CB channel 10 for avoiding log trucks. I did not see a logging truck, but woods are full of felled trees so they will find their way down the hill soon.

With the warm weather rattlesnakes were out along the road between Fish Lake and Loomis. Counted six in that stretch. Which is one reason we ended up at Chopaka. The dog got the rattlesnake vaccination but I did not want to keep an eye on him.

Fishing was ok. The weather was perfect. The company good. It was nice to get up and have a cup of coffee in the morning and just look at the view.
  9. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Thinking of heading up that way on Wed evening. Were there a lot of people camping at Chopaka, any open sites when you arrived? Lots of snakes at Blue also.
  10. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +239 / 0
    There were more people there on weekdays than the weekend.

The one-percent fly club was there during the week and it being Mother's Day weekend very few people showed up for the weekend.

So it was kinda odd that way....of course, maybe NOBODY works anymore?? It was a lot more crowded than I like, but that's Chopaka for you.
  11. Donato Member

Bothell WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Thanks Vlad.
  12. P-FITZ98 Member

Spokane, WA
    we left Sunday also, Vlad. I was float tubing with my boy in my avatar pic.We were the youngest ones there! We did well fishing. Probobly saw you, we were camped to the right of the handicap spot with John Newbury.
  13. Caveman Member

N/A
    Its a f-ing zoo.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  14. P-FITZ98 Member

Spokane, WA
    I would consider it average for up there.Ive been going there almost 20 years and it has always been that way it seems.I am seeing this happening to Cofeeepot lake now,with people refering to it as the "new Chopaka", its getting worse and worse there. "Alot more crowded than I like"...cant fix that.