Lake dwelling caddis patterns?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Golden Trout, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Had some decent luck earlier this year on local lakes with chubby hares ear patterns that I believe represented lake dwelling caddis. "Longhorn" caddis to be specific; I will refrain form the latin.

I am interested in developing a better larval and pupal pattern. Any info on size color, pattern you would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
    GT

2. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

3. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi GT-

Longhorned Caddisflies (family Leptoceridae) are represented by (6) genera in the Pacific NW.

Does the one you are seeing look like this:

[​IMG]

4. Golden Trout

Yes, very similar. I believe "oecetis". I've been through several entomological sites and can't get seem to determine if the the bug inside the case is white with a black head, green with a brown head, amber with an amber head, etc.

I have come up with a case made of wound turkey tail that is a fair representation but need to hone in on the correct color of the bug and its legs that propel it about the bottom strata.

5. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

When this hatch came on at crane prairie res. i had tied some beautiful woven body long whiskered pupas to match this hatch under a strike indi . didn't work , so i tied some tan chiros for the next time and it worked - now when i run into this hatch i just switch to the tan chiro and catch fish . knowing the river pupa carries air bubbles to the surface - la fontaine pupa - only makes since it would have the bubble in the lake also - via white bead . don't know for why but it worked .

6. Taxon

GT-

An Oecetis uncased larva looks like this:

[​IMG]

I would describe the color of the head, thorax, and legs as amber, and the color of the abdomen as varying from all amber, to all yellow, to a tan anterior half, and a yellow posterior half.

As to the color of the uncased pupa, I would expect it to be similarly colored, except for having wings the color of the adult's wings.

Hope this helps.

Duane J likes this.
  7. Golden Trout

Thanks for your research on this. You have helped tremendously. OK, there will be no fishing in my neck of the woods until late this month or early to mid Sept. when surface temps drop down below 65. If you get an opportunity, please try a size 14, 9671 or similar hook, weighted body, wrap turkey tail to form a case, with a "peeking" head made according to your researched image. I am guessing a cream worm with amber head and legs.

My research has revealed that these larvae are quite active, crawling about with their long legs pulling along their case. Trout have no problem eating case and all. I suspect that an intermediate line or perhaps a faster sinker might bring the business end to the trout in proper fashion.

Thanks again.
    GT

Duane J likes this.
  8. Taxon

GT-

You are certainly welcome; my pleasure.

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

I am at Chelan this week and these Caddis, pictured by Taxon, are on the hatch in the shallow bays.

10. Taxon

Hi Jeff-

Interesting, thanks for sharing your observations.