Lake Erie Tribs.

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by tediousthumper, Apr 11, 2011.

1. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Media:
    I went out to a Steelhead Camp Hosted by Mystic Fly Rods. The Camp was in Bemus Point New York. We fished in Ny, Pa and Ohio. All of the fishing was done on Lake Erie Tribs.
    I must say being from Washington, and Skamania county (which many of their steelhead are originally from), the fishing was amazing to say the least. These fish are fresh water run. The live most of their lives in the lakes, but come to the tribs to spawn in the thousands. It's easy to have fifty even more fish days. When we arrived to camp on Wed we were pounded with 4 inches of snow. Which of course blew the rivers out. Still we fished the chocolate milk and still had double digit fish days. As the weekend grew close the rivers started to clear and the fishing got better and better. As a matter of fact the last night of fishing we went out on lake Erie and fished the mouth of one of the tribs. It was a magical moment watching the sun set. I felt like I was flats fishing. Calm waters, beautifull sunset, and fish dancing all around us. Fishing around train tracks,under cobble stone bridges,and in slate lined river beds. A dream for a PA steel worker. Real industry style fishing. Listening to these East coast fly dudes was funny. People told me before I left that the fish are not as big, not chrome, and a weak fight. But I'm here to tell you, thats BUllSHIT. I got spooled plenty! The fish were chrome for the most part and we could get them nymphing, swing, and chuckin streamers. Most of the fish caught were on a very small zonker type streamer. I was amazed at how close these fish could be you and still chase to bite your fly. I was fishing in a tunnel at one point catching fish 4-7 ft in front of me. They were slamming my fly's, and runners too. Some fish would come out of the water, head shake, and take you down river. It was sweet. The pictures I have do no justice, as I suck as a photog but here are some to share. The camp was sweet. We had plenty of well known fishing industry pro's come and go. We shared good Beer's (yengling's), good food, and some huge fly tying demos. At one point we had mutiple vise demos. The only thing we talked about was fishing, as it should be. Some of the guide's were tropical salt dude's from florida, they had some great stories. I highly recommend getting out there to fish. If your looking for some HOT steelhead action without leaving the states. Contact www.aperfectdriftoutfitters@yahoo.com. They also offer free shuttles from the Buffalo air port. What A blast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

:thumb::thumb:

3. DoubleL

DoubleL A guy who loves to fish

That's pretty cool Thad! Glad to see you had a great time. :thumb:

4. abobrien

abobrien Alex O'Brien

Media:
    those rivers look bit different from the north west steelhead streams and rivers the main difference is those rivers have fish in them
    Thad that trip looks great I need to contact my midwest friends so I can couch surf and catch some steelhead.

5. martyg

martyg Active Member

That looks so familiar! I grew up in Buffalo and heavily fished that area before it gained its notoriety. I still go back when I want to Steelhead fish.

Other places to see if you can get to - the Niagara river, Canadian side, just North of the town of Fort Erie. Great swinging for Bows. Also the Niagara Gorge - again Canadian side. Fish Niagara Glenn Nature area. A 120,000cfs "trout stream."

Thanks for the memories.

6. ribka

ribka Active Member

Great report. Brought back lots of memories. Spent the 1990's fishing that area for stellehead and browns. Awesome fishing there. Had some incredibles days.

As martyg said the Niagra gorge is tremendous fishery.

Thanks for sharing

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Awesome Thumper

8. isaacfab

isaacfab Member

Sweet report.

9. Mikey_Mac

Mikey_Mac Member

Nice! I lived in Cleveland and Erie, PA for a few years each. Some fun fishing around Erie and across the NY border!! That first bridge pic looks like the Elk river in Erie- is it?

10. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Media:
    I believe the first bridge photo was twenty mile, but the twelve photo is the Elk. Great system!

11. Porter

Porter Active Member

:thumb: :beer2: