Lake Fishing book advice needed

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Kaiserman, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    I'm wanting to give lakes a little more effort this year, rather than just stripping a wooly bugger in the spring. I know very little about chironomid fishing, but probably enough to get started.

My question is, would this be a good book for a guy that's been fishing for 28 yrs now, or is it just primarily for beginners? I scanned some of the reviews, but was wondering if anyone here has read it.

The first two items on the yellow banner (cover at bottom), seem like they may be helpful, but the rest seems useless other than the entomology part.

Just was wondering what the "ratio" is on those topics. I did see the table of contents, but we know how that can go sometimes...

Don't want to spend $20 on a book, that I'll only read 30 out of 93 pages.

P.S. If anyone has any other books, that might focus on just the subjects: Entomology, flies, techniques - let me know.

[​IMG]
    Thanks​

2. Lostcreeker

Lostcreeker Member

King County Library has 3 copies available of this book.

Olive bugger and Jeff Dodd like this.
  3. Kaiserman

I'm in Spokane, but will check ours. Never thought of that.

Thanks LC !

4. Kaiserman

Well, not so much on the library option :(, but thanks again for the idea.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Books are cool and all but there is nothing you csn learn from a book that you wouldn't find just reading through posts in the stillwater section. Especially for someone with plenty of fishing experience.

Kaiserman likes this.
  6. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

Google Brian Chan. You will find tons of stuff to read on chiro fishing.

Kaiserman likes this.
  7. chief

chief Active Member

I haven't read the book you reference, but Randall Kaufmann's book on Lake Fishing is pretty informative. Maybe a little dated, but might be worth a look. I know it helped me 20 years ago when I read it.

Jim Wallace and Kaiserman like this.
  8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Much of Chan's work is on the internet. Just Google Chans' chironomids to get started then you will find links to dozens of videos on both tying and fishing. You can read that stuff for hours and probably learn more by watching than by reading. Get a laptop or tablet, an easy chair and have at it!

Ive

Kaiserman likes this.
  9. Kaiserman

Awesome, thanks guys.

10. Islander

Islander Steve

Maybe I'm "old school" but I kind of like books to read, hang onto and reference again later. I've spent nearly all of my fly fishing life on stillwater but found the Morris/Chan worth the price. It does have a lot of info for the person just starting out but does have good sections on stillwater structure and locating fish as well as hatches & timing and of course fly selection and tying. Another book worth a read is Tim Lockhart's 'Stillwater Strategies', it will teach you some different ideas on how to thoroughly fish lakes and find fish. Heck twenty bucks won't buy you a pizza and a beer these days. A book will last forever. My .02

Duane J and Kaiserman like this.
  11. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    I've read a few books on lake fishing. The good ones give you some reference for how to make a game plan given the conditions and type of lake you are fishing. It's helpful when your starting out to have something you want to try . . .so that you don't end up just trolling wooly buggers all day. But eventually it comes down to putting in many days on your local lakes. Assuming you are in the Spokane region, you've got options. Find a few you enjoy and fish them a lot. Read books when you are looking for inspiration for what to try. Then go see what works.

In general, Chan's stuff is tailored around finding the bite and matching the hatch. Rickards is all about finding the biggest fish in the lake. Both know their craft.

Krusty likes this.
  12. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Actually...I think Denny Rickard's "Stillwater Presentation" is very good, if you ignore his continual promotion for his 'Denny Rickard's Cortland sinktip line". Lots of good tips about fishing lakes. I think he's dead-on about flyfishing stillwater being so much more than 'matching the hatch' bullshit...and how to focus on catching larger trout.

troutpocket likes this.
  13. Islander

Islander Steve

I'm a big fan of Denny's book as well and have his latest. I'm a firm believer in "presentation" over match the hatch, but his books are a bit pricier.

14. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Jim Wallace, Krusty and Rob Ast like this.
  15. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

I have this book and found it to be worthwhile. Helped me to expand my lake tactics and, I believe, catch more fish.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

16. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

Phil Rowley, another B.C. Stillwater guy has some good info as well.
    Another good source is the Stillwater section of the B.C. fly fishing forum, FlyfishBC.com.

rankin76 likes this.
  17. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

I hope you let the forum know when it's out...if there's one area of stillwater flyfishing I'm deficient in (among many others!) it's vertical presentation technique. It came along so long after I started that I never managed to catch up on it.

It's rare nowadays that I fish with anyone else, so most of the improvements in my technique have their origin in books or magazines.

I see those patient guys sitting there, waiting, and sometimes doing pretty well when everything else is slow. I think I've got the requisite attribute of patience down ok....but my old lady says I'm just lazy.

18. Sinkline

Sinkline Active Member

If you want to learn more about vertical presentation buy Chan & Rowley's new DVD, "Conquering Chironomids Vol-1". If you have been fishing vertical for a while you probably won't learn anything new, but if you are fairly new to the technique you will enjoy this DVD. If you are brand new to vertical presentation I would say this DVD is a, "must have"!

Even if you know the vertical technique well, you will still enjoy the DVD for all the bobber-down footage!

Conquering Chironomids Vol-1
    http://www.stillwaterflyfishingstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=74

Randy

Kaiserman and Mark Kraniger like this.
  19. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I myself felt the book I thumbed through of Chan - Morris was way to basic. It would be nice if someone actually came out with a book that covers it all - chiro - intermediates - dries - deep sinkers and all of there uses!

I like how you wrote your question as in almost stating anyone can catch fish dragging a bugger and you want more than that! Well, so do I....

From using good color fish finders to running motor boats for big water, the lake game is so diverse!

"Matching the hatch bullshit" Hmm this statement kinda shocked me since almost everything I do trout fishing is about matching the hatch! If it wasn't - I wouldn't do it. to me it's the blood line of trout fishing, the tradition so to speak but we all have our own preference and reasons why we fish.

From calibeatis hatches, to chironomid hatches, to stickleback minnows and traveling caddis, like troutpocket mentioned, on water time will teach you more than any book. I have researched many fisheries just to find that I did better doing what the lake told me, not what anybody else said or wrote. From fishing a great chiro lake in Oregon and finding the biggest fish in the area were crushing flying ant patterns on the surface - which I did not have in my 10 fly box's ( lesson learn - got plenty now) to 5 and six pound trout stuffed with stickleback minnows - when everything I read on the fishery said the trout did not feed on them!

The diverse lake fisherman will have at least 3 rods ready and armed for 3 different techniques if not 4! A dry fly rod, an intermediate, and a full sink. I like a dry fly rod and a chiro rod both with dry lines so I don't need to change techniques when that 1/2 to 1 hour time frame of sippers comes only once a day on that lake I'm on. Yes your boat will look like a porky pine, they will get in the way, I wouldn't have it any other way!

I don't know if Chan and Morris wrote any "ADVANCED BOOKS" but that is the only book I would buy on any technique with the time and years I have fly fished.

I like the direction you want to go. I like big water so I have to have a motor boat to take for long distances and big waves so I have a drift boat to row around smaller lakes and 8 horse motor for bigger water. You will find investing in a personal small rowing craft will hinder you, or limit the lakes you can actually fish. some of the biggest trout are in non fly fishing only lakes and are much less crowded or fisherman that fish them rely on power-bait or worms and a schooled fly fisherman can have a blast!

As mentioned a lot of information and good fisherman on this forum. I love the fishing reports of people having to "figure a lake out" and sharing that info! These kinds of post have the info I'm looking for even if it's a technique I rarely use it's information learned every time.

I myself would suggest posting more on this section and trying to fish with one of these guy's who are dedicated lake fisherman like Troutpocket, Ira, Lockhart, Clayton and many more. In one day it would be like reading 5 different books if you ask me and than you can take it from there!

People used to ask me how to get into fishing and catching steelhead and I would tell them to "find the best fisherman you can and get in there back pocket" But like a pheasant trip a couple years ago I was invited on in eastern Oregon. I brought the guy some of my grandfathers old paper wrapped Winchester shells and an old rubber decoy of my fathers from the 60's to give him in respect of the invite. Most times a warm smile and bottle will do though ;-)~ -------- welcome to the dark-side!!!

20. Krusty

Krusty Krusty Old Effer

Rickard's stillwater books articulate many of the same things that I have observed in over a half century of lake flyfishing; that most
    of the time there is no 'hatch', that where and how you present a fly is critical, that larger trout tend to focus on larger subsurface prey to maximize caloric intake efficiency, that weather/barometric conditions have a huge impact and, finally, that a large collection of diverse fly patterns is unnecessary.

I rarely fish dryflies anymore unless I want to maximize fish hookups for a grandchild or new flyfisher. Little trout are greater in number and focus on smaller floating insects...while the big boys, being apex predators, are much fewer in number, and tend to cruise somewhere in the water column below. Finding them takes more time, patience, and a subtle touch for feeling and responding to strikes. Large trout are opportunists, and often take a variety of flies presented in a manner suggestive of prey that don't necessarily resemble a particular prey species.

I know I blaspheme, but I remember a time when fishing anything less than a dryfly wasn't really considered flyfishing...and remnants of that bloodline remain to the faithful.... who believe 'matching the hatch' is sacrosanct and all-important.

Islander and Jim Wallace like this.