Lake Fishing book advice needed

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Kaiserman, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I'm reading this one right now. I've had it for years, but somehow it got lost in the shuffle, and only recently re-emerged.
    Lake Fishing With a Fly, by Ron Cordes and Randall Kaufmann, Frank Amato Publications, 1984.
    I'm also finding it to be informative. Filling in some of the holes in my knowledge, and turning on the lightbulbs in my head.

Next on my lake fishing list is Tim's book.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  2. Sinkline Active Member

Ratings: +56 / 0
    The great majority of very large Stillwater fish caught by avid Stillwater anglers I know are caught on small patterns. I'm pretty sure Rickards regrets saying that big fish don't eat small flies. Rickards is wrong in that regard, and Chan is correct when he says certain food items are imprinted in older fish as they have eaten so many in their lives, and they won't pass-up those mainstay food items.

Rickards would have you believe these two Browns are meat eaters and won't waste energy hunting small prey. I caught both these "meat eaters" on the same day using #14 pupa hung vertical.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Here is a large (spawned) Bull I caught this year on #14 pupa hung vertical. Bulls are notorious predatory fish, yet they still eat small patterns. Many Bulls between 22"-28" came to the small pupa this season.
    [IMG]

Randy
  3. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,032 / 1
    Randy,

The idea of imprinting is extremely important to remember. Even anadromous fish returning to rivers will find themselves remembering their younger days. Kings have ben caught on size 12 hares ears.

Nice browns by the way.
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  4. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    Amen Randy and Ira. The biggest trout I ever landed was a 13#+ monster on Sheridan Lake in BC. It took a #14 caddis pupa in about 20' of water on a Type VI sinking line. And the biggest trout I ever hooked which probably went almost 20# was hooked on another size 14 caddis pupa near the base of the dam on the Kootenai River in Montana.

In recent years my lake patterns have become smaller and smaller. By season's end trout have seen about every style and color of wooly bugger imaginable and small natural looking patterns have worked very well for me. At Coffeepot Lake which is heavily fished nowadays I do much better on #12 and #14 Halfbacks fished deep and slow than I do on the bigger stuff.

Ive
    Lue Taylor likes this.
  5. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +599 / 0
    Are you implying salmonids remember prey species by imprinting? It's been well demonstrated they are incapable of remembering much of anything at all. Anadromous fish 'remember' water chemistry of their native river, but the idea they remember particular prey species from their youthful days is preposterous. Most everything they do is programmed and instinctual, developed through eons of natural selection.
  6. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    That's almost as silly as thinking trout grow tired of seeing the same old patterns during the season, and yearn for something new!
  7. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    And, if you know Denny Rickards, I suspect he's highly unlikely to regret anything he's ever said.
    Ron McNeal likes this.
  8. Sinkline Active Member

Ira, if you are writing a book I will certainly purchase a copy. I bought Mr. Lockhart's book this year to add to my collection of Stillwater publications. I'm always on the hunt for new Stillwater literature. :)

Randy
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I am enjoying the divergence of opinion in this thread. Myself, I know nothing for certain, and am always striving to keep an open mind. 2014 might just be the year that I go "micro and vertical," instead of dragging around stuff that resembles a huge chunk of meat.
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  10. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    The great majority of very large Stillwater fish caught by avid Stillwater anglers I know are caught by spending most of their time fishing waters that hold very large trout. I'm not sold on the importance of fly size. I don't fish stuff much larger than a #6 bunny leech . . .which is certainly huge in comparison to a #14 chironomid pupa . . .but I limit my pattern size based mostly on my tackle and what's comfortable to cast with a 5 or 6 weight rod.

I was fishing a lake in Montana in September with a mix of rainbows and browns. Over three days I caught a bunch of both but there were differences between what the browns wanted versus the rainbows for both patterns and presentation. When I fished smaller stuff vertical I caught mostly 'bows. When I stripped bigger stuff, I caught mostly browns (and an interesting side note: I caught huge whitefish doing both). Just an isolated case but there aren't many hard and fast rules in stillwater trout fishing.
  11. Sinkline Active Member

Krusty, don't get me wrong, Rickards is a fine Stillwater angler and has added much to the education of many would be Stillwater flyfishers. I agree with the majority of his teaching..., but he is wrong about large fish not eating small patterns, and yes I do believe he wishes he had never put that message in his Stillwater offerings (books vids).

I've spoken with Denny on the water a couple times, but I don't know him personally.

Randy
  12. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
  13. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I was watching the Tube late at night up while at my Dad's for T-day, and I viewed a show that was very interesting. "Megalodon Lives" was about the search for the large prehistoric ancestor to Great White sharks known as Megalodon, thought to be extinct. The search was initiated after a sport fishing boat was attacked and sunk by some large creature, with all four people aboard lost without a trace.

The researchers believed that the Humpback Whale was (is?) the preferred food of Megalodon, and is imprinted in its brain.

In trying to raise the big one, the researchers switched up from trolling a 5' long seal pattern (no follows, no strikes, no sonar image...nada!) to a 40' imitation of a Humpback Whale. After creating a chum slick about 5 miles long, they finally lured in a bunch of Great Whites, which swam around in the chum slick for some time. Then suddenly, the Great Whites all left the scene.
    Something really big (on the sonar) swam into the chum slick, which their divers managed to tag with a radio transmitter, by shooting it into the huge unidentified creature with a speargun from the safety of a shark observation cage. (Other dramatic stuff happened at this point, and I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen the show). Unfortunately, they were unable to get a photo. The big whatever then sounded to a depth greater than the transmitter could withstand (over 6,000'), and the signal was lost.
    The lead researcher believes the creature was Megalodon.
    This all took place near Cape Town, South AFrica.
  14. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I'm a believer of what I have read about juvenile anadromous fish getting imprinted with their food sources, and that being the reason why they will eat or strike at these same things when they return to their natal streams.
    If this is true, then I can find no reason that large trout in a lake would not be similarly imprinted with food forms from their time spent as fry. Imprinting... wouldn't that result in unconscious behavior, later in life? Does not the imprint developed during the fry stage still scream food to the adult trout?
  15. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +180 / 6
    I have found that big fish will pretty much take any size fly, they eat anything that they think might be food, big or small. That how they get to be big fish, that and avoid predators.
    I must say though this thread is getting a bit off topic for the poor guy that just asked about a book. :D
    Jeff Dodd and Mark Kraniger like this.
  16. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Another worthwhile read was written by BC stillwater angler Jack Shaw: Fly Fish the Trout Lakes.
  17. Sinkline Active Member

Yes..., I apologize to the OP for 'jacking the thread. Seems conversation went toward supporting or challenging the teachings of various stillwater author's instead of talking about the overall value of any given literature itself.

All the books mentioned in this thread (I have them all, and more) bring a little something different, or at least approach similar concepts from a slightly different angle. If you are newer to Stillwater fly flingin', there is good and solid info. to be learned from all these publications.

Randy
    troutpocket likes this.
  18. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +634 / 2

Yep I watched the same show!

And yes they had to "MATCH THE HATCH"------- HA--------
  19. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Hey Mark, after reading many of your informative posts, I'm just glad that I can still read them here for free, rather than having to purchase your (yet-to-be-authored) book!;)
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  20. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 4
    After watching that show Mark is probably hard at work writing his new book on speed trolling techniques for megalodon ;)
    bakerite and Mark Kraniger like this.