Lake fishing can be easier from a boat

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by ken2cross, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    A while ago I was given a 12‘ aluminum boat. I fixed it up so it’s now serviceable but ugly (has some dents.) I’m now ready to give it to someone who could make use of it. I prefer to give it to someone local (somewhere near Lake Stevens, WA) who may have kids or grand-kids that would like to fish and it would be difficult afford to buy their own.

It has no title, oars, Life jackets, or motor and the recipient would have to have a way to haul it.

It’s rated for 3 people and up to 12 HP motor.

PM me if you are interested in a free boat and meet the above criteria. I’ll try to decide who to give it to this week.
    Ken

Attached Files:

Connor Parrish and nailbender like this.
  2. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    Cool little boat and very cool what you want to do with it. I got a 12 footer and they are perfect lake boats. I push mine around with a Minn Kota 24 lb. motor.
  3. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Contact ed here he's involved in a program for vet's. Good for you, pay it foreword.
  4. scottflycst Active Member

Ozark Mtn springwater
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Good on ya' Ken!
    I did the same thing several years ago with a friend. Boats are a wonderful
    priviledge and an excellent memory making tool.
  5. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Must a boat like this be registered? I myself am very interested
  6. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'm in mill creek
  7. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Powered by oars it doesn't need registered or titled in Washington state. If you put a motor on it less than 10 horsepower it needs registered if used in "Federal Water." The problem is identifying what water is designated as "Federal Water."

As I understand Puget Sound, and any river that can be navigated by boat are. Lots of lakes are, but which ones is a great question. Good luck with that.

Bottom line I just row my drift boat. If one were to register this boat no problem. It however doesn't have a title. One could apply for a lost title.

I hope this helps.
  8. Shad Active Member

Elma, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    First of all, this is a really nice gesture by the original poster. Good on you, brother.

Next, I am confused about the whole registration requirements thing. The way I understood the rule, prior to this year, only boats longer than 18' and/or under more than 10hp need to be registered. I'm hearing more and more about the "navigable waters" caveat these days, and I'm not liking it, since it sounds like my dream of trading the 25hp motor that came with my 14' Livingston for a sub-10hp 4-stroke so I can use it for coho in the tidal Chehalis without registering it (and wasting a day taking that asinine boater education course) may be in jeopardy. I'm all for safety in boats, but that course covers a bunch of marine navigation rules and stuff that I dare say will never be useful to me in my 14-ft. fiberglass tub. Sometimes, I swear this state is out to prove that one can, in fact, squeeze blood from a turnip.

Oh, well. At least I only need to register the trailer to fish lakes for trout.
  9. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Here's a link you may find helpful:
    http://www.boat.wa.gov/register.asp

The problem is identifying Non-federal water.
    I know Lake Stevens is designated "Federal Water"
    I've been told Lake McMurray is not.
    Lake Washington is

This even applies to electric motors on a toy raft.

I think it's a $$$ grab by the state.
  10. Quickbeem New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Did you find a home for the boat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  11. ken2cross Member

Lake Stevens, Wa
    Yes, I think I did. They haven't seen it yet however.
    Ken