Lake fishing today

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jim Wallace, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Might go up to the lake this afternoon and see if I can't work some more of the hatchery lard off those fat 2 pounders. ;) Just for giggles.
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Got tied up in the a.m. and didn't make it to the launch til 1:30. Was fishing by 1:45, but it was slow at first. Saw a few other boats on the lake, one other fly guy,who was also plying the waters off the lee shore in the NE corner. I tried not to crowd him. He was trolling very slowly, and not anchored.
    After getting no love on what worked last time, I reeled in my original NSC, and whipped out a new #8 weighted black pearl version. So far, not much action... saw one troller get a fish earlier...hardly anything rising.
    I was fishing the black pearl NSC it on the new clear intermediate full-sink line (the one that floated when I first tried it it out), tied on the end of some 3X fluoro with a non-slip mono loop. I'd wiped the line down with a damp towel, then a dry towel, and now it wanted to sink a little better, especially with the heavier fly helping pull it down.
    I didn't feel like wrestling with the breeze, so I hung out along the lee shore, in the NE corner, since the wind was from the NE. Did some trolling, drifting, casting and retrieving. Still, I had to wait for that line to sink, and I faded into the slow zone. Slow was the ticket. Also, it seemed like the bite finally turned on around 3pm (or I finally tuned into the bite), and kept going until I quit at 4:30 pm. Lake glassed off after 4pm, and there were some risers visible working what looked like wind-blown small reddish brown terrestrial spiders, as well as a very sparse hatch of midges.
    I managed to sneak up on one frequent riser and get it to hit my luckily placed black pearl bugger. It jumped high and threw the hook at the sting of the barb. The risers were feeding on top, but there were biters along the bottom, too.
    I only fished for about 2 1/2 hours, and brought about 8 planters to the net, all in the 13" to 15" range. No two or three pounders today. I had about 10 LDR's, too. Most of the action I enjoyed occurred during a 90 minute period.
    My last hook up occurred just as I was approaching the launch. It jumped once and threw the hook. Looking back out over the lake, the glassy surface was very sparsely dimpled with rise rings, but at least there were some to see.
    All fish, except for the one I saw the pop-gear trollers reel in, either escaped or were released to be sore-mouthed another day.
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  3. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Good report, thanks.
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Tonight's overnight lows up at this foothills lake are going to be in the mid 20's. (I had light frost on my Forester and the roof of my garage this morning here near the beach). Temps are supposed to cross above freezing after 9am or so, up at the lake.

Gary, if you're reading this, I'd probably want to wait until at least 9:30 or 10 am to launch, as even the light 6 - 7 mph E wind in the forecast is going to be a little nippy. Air temps should rise into the low 40's by 11, I hope. Surface water temp has likely fallen below 50 F, as it was at 51 two weeks ago.
    Fishing from 10 am until 2pm will capture the rising daytime temps. I hope to be launching by 10 am at the latest, but probably won't arrive before 9:45, hauling my 16'er.

Rivers are back in good shape. If I weren't avoiding having Coho beat up my right arm, I'd be fishing for them today!
  5. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +316 / 0
    Jim,

if you want to carpool up there we could meet at Monte Square and I'd drop some fuel in your rig there on your way back home. That plan sounds wise to me. Plus it will give me time to make breakfast in the morning for my mom and girlfriend who will be spending the day without me, give a little to get a little!
  6. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Sounds good to me, too. Its going to be c-c-cold early, but should warm up into the 40's fairly rapidly. I PM'ed you my contact info.

7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Met Gary in Monte, headed to the lake, got launched shortly after 10am, and we were stoked to enjoy sunny skies, a relatively light breeze, and warming temps. Although a little nippy, it was not as brutally cold as we had expected. Surface water temp on the lake was 49 F. Turned out to be a very nice day.

The trout were in a biting mood. We stuck with clear intermediate full sink lines. We trolled some, and also anchored and cast. Both methods produced fish. Gary out-fished me by a ratio of at least 2:1, but then again, he was using a two fly rig.:rolleyes: One of them was usually a "Six Pack" that he had tied. He also brought in the larger fish.
    Biggest to the net was only about 16" or so, but on 3 wts and 4 wts, these fish put up quite a battle.

Was a fun day of lake fishing, and I was stoked to meet up with a fly angler with local roots who possesses a wealth of local knowledge, whips up some mean flies, and loves to target trout in the local streams and lakes.
  8. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +316 / 0
    Jim,
    It was a great day and I'd say the catch ratio was a lot closer to 1:1. Your narwhalsawzall stocker clocker was doing well all day too. Thanks a ton for dragging the boat up to the lake and the great company.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    When those trout streams we were talking about open up again, lets hit 'em!

Until then, I'm not done with the wet-side year-round lakes. I'm keeping a lookout for upcoming weather windows. My boat might even want to get out of the garage again.
  10. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +277 / 0
    Jim:

Thanks for your recent stillwater reports! They are always enjoyable and informative reads.

I have always wanted to fish a couple of the lakes which you mentioned so hopefully I will do that next spring.

Roger
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Thanks Roger. I don't always reply to them, but I read, enjoy, and try to learn from all of your reports and postings about cutthroat and salmon fishing and flies.
    Nahwatzel slows down once Winter settles in, but it picks up again in March. When the seasonal lakes open up again, I usually head to another lake that is a little closer, and much more interesting to fish. But the planters that are stocked in Nahwatzel from the Eells Springs and Satsop Springs hatcheries are strong fighters and head-shakin' hook tossers.
    I should just drive a little farther and hit some S Sound or Hood Canal beaches for some searun cutt action.
    I've been hiding out from the Chums and Coho so they can't sore-arm me any more! Even those 1 and 2 pound trout put the hurt on my tweaked tendon. Yep, I even had to ice my arm after I got home from lake fishing with a 4 wt.
  12. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +884 / 1
    Jim, after a weekend casting for steel, I started to notice my tendon acting up again from a trip I took in January (see bone in avatar). It sucks, maybe you need to take some time off to tie ;)
  13. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Yes, I'm sure that time off from flailing lake buggers would help. Unfortunately, I have no discipline when it comes to holding off on going fishing, and looking at the forecast, I notice a couple of possibly decent looking angling days heading our way mid-week.
    The tides look weird, even the daytime lows are high. That might be OK for Chum fishing from the beach, though, but it messes up most of my cutthroat spots that all seem to fish better on a falling tide. That's OK, since I usually beach fish with my 6 wts, which are now in their tubes.

That leaves lakes, and maybe some smaller watersheds where I know there lurk some cutthroat. Sooner or later the weather will have me holed up for a good two or three weeks. Its going to get colder. Yes, eventually the weather will impose the necessary discipline!:rolleyes:
  14. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +884 / 1
    I have as of yet to learn to listen to the weather! I just fish when I can and with a wife that works every other weekend and two little ones, is not as often as I'd like so I rarely even look at the weather. I hope your arm heals without rest and you catch a plentiful bounty.
  15. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +344 / 16
    True story! I get one day a week to hit the water and will endure any weather mother earth can throw at me.
  16. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    OK, you are younger and tougher than I. Right now the conditions haven't gotten that bad. We're just into the middle of Fall. Winter is still over 5 weeks away. Overall weather conditions going "neutral" as far as El Nino/La Nina stuff is concerned, which mean we can expect "normal" weather patterns, whatever that means.

Today looks pretty decent. I'm outa here!